1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New 4g coverage around Detroit?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by x94cherry, Jan 13, 2012.

1. x94cherry

x94cherry Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    I was just looking at the MetroPCS 4G coverage map for Detroit and the coverage area looks like it got a lot bigger since the last time I checked. The area goes much further north and west and now stretches all the way to Dexter, where I work. Also 4G along I-94 all the way to Kalamazoo, and in Lansing.

However, in practice, the network does not seem any different--no 4G in Dexter and the same annoying dead spot along M-14 near I-275.

Has anyone had any success in these supposed new coverage areas? Is there something I need to do to connect to the new towers? I tried updating my roaming and it made no difference.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement

2. traajik

traajik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2011

i live in oakland county (waterford to be exact) and really have spotless 4g /3g connection rates. but if i go 5 miles west by way of m59, or cass lake road i can kiss it goodbye, if i go east twords pontiac/detroit it doesn't drop the 4g, i stream and browse online relentlessly. As for your exact locations i cant speculate on the reception. However on the edge of detroit where it's about to turn into gross point, it seems to work fine. In flint just a year or 2 ago any metro phone wouldn't have reception (regardless 1x 3g/4g) even though the map clearly showed it was covered. Truthfully they didnt put up any towers out there untill a year after they announced coverage, i never got to use it cause i GTFO of there.

And as usual there are some dead zones around me, the most brutal one i can recall at this time is on airport road, between 59 and elizibeth lake road, there's a lower-budget apartment complex called rivers edge, if your anywhere near it no one will be hearing from you via electronically lol. Others are not half as bad, will still have 3g/1x but that one spot gives no service at all, it's not even a metro problem imo sprint and verizon att t-mobile all die out in this spot.

p.s i have traveled south but not as far as kalamazoo, there was one strech on a highway (696 i think) leading into novi that gave me spotty service if any. but once into novi-farmington hills/ plymth county all was a-ok

3. x94cherry

x94cherry Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks for your input, traajik.

Update: today when I got to work there was 4G in Dexter for the first time. So that's an exciting development. I traveled to Chicago last weekend and there was 4G along I-94, although it was spotty at best if I wasn't near a city. Still, a major improvement.