• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New A20S

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Hey, I took the plunge and got the Samsung A20S. I don't know if I can really afford it but it's a huge relief after that icon piece of crap. Now I just have to figure out what vpn to use with public wifi. I might not ever have a sim card. Also, what case and screen protector should I get?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Look on top of the phone, you'll see a piece with a tiny round hole- that's the card tray. You stick the tip of that tool (or just a paper clip) in the hole and press, the tray will pop out. Put your SD card in the proper slot (not the one for the SIM) and close the tray, make sure it goes all the way in. If it doesn't want to go in fully check that the card is correctly seated and try again. Do this with the phone off, when you turn it back on the card should be there.

And you don't really need a VPN if you're careful. In any case stay away from the free ones as they are probably stealing your info.

I'd get an Otterbox if they make one for it.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
Thanks, and how do I open the phone itself? I guess I have to do that first, but it seems impossible. Is there some kind of notch?
open the phone? what do you mean.

there should be a small hole about the size of a paper clip. the tool inserts into the hole and the sd card slot should pop out.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
No. Use a cloth or tissue to save your finger if using a paper clip, but press directly down quite hard and the tray slot will pop out a little so you can glide it out the rest of the way.

https://manuals-support.com/samsung-galaxy-a20s-galaxy-a20e-manual-user-guide/

Screenshot_20200927-150639.png
Screenshot_20200927-150548.png

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
Yeah, that's exactly where I was poking it. The photos and videos are what I already have on the A20S. How do I transfer them and make sure all of them, including screenshots, automatically go there in the future?
i would use google photos, but if you must check the camera settings. there should be an option to save to the sd card.

....but really i would recommend google photos over anything else. i never have to worry when i get a new phone. i just sign in to google on the new phone and wait for it to sync and my pics will be there. never have to worry about sd cards transfers or anything.

Upvote 0
I've had a nightmare (ok not an end of the world nightmare) reinstalling with my only ever Google account on two fresh phones on two occasions in two weeks. Google backup doesn't work at all in my experiences or I'm even dumber than everyone thinks. I'm also 90% sure I've lost 9 months of Google Photos as they were also missing via Chrome on Windows last week.

So do other backups as well. I had 2 Samsung phones 2012 - 2015 and they had a decent system then, but having a pc I think helps.

That A20S came out a year ago, which is why I thought you meant the A21s, but it's decent enough.

According to sites if its not on Android 10 now you will fired a big update over the air, as well as Samsung's latest UI, 2.5 or something. I hope you have enough data or WiFi somewhere.

You'll probably get several separate monthly security patches, best to get them over with.

My experience is not to fill up with all your favourite apps as installing the updates takes much longer when it has to update all the apps each time.

I did notice a hole on top was mentioned assuming you knew it would be next to the sim and card tray so unfortunate but I hope you haven't inadvertently damaged the hole for the secondary ambient microphone for assessing noise during calls, or something like that. It's probably OK unless you grabbed a hammer in frustration :p

Reactions: Rgarner and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I wasn't that stuck. Speaking of hoogoo, is there a good substitute for photos, or gmail? I am trying to degoogooize this phone as much as possible. After all, it's MY phone. I do have access to a semipublic computer and thus the possibility of rooting fairly easily. Should I go for it?

Upvote 0
I wasn't that stuck. Speaking of hoogoo, is there a good substitute for photos, or gmail? I am trying to degoogooize this phone as much as possible. After all, it's MY phone. I do have access to a semipublic computer and thus the possibility of rooting fairly easily. Should I go for it?
you can try any of the cloud storage apps like dropbox that should work for your photos. as far as email goes.....maybe yahoo? should you go for rooting? that's up to you. as far as computer access, can you download and install files to the computer? you will most likely need adb and fastboot setup on the computer.
I was trying to download Nook but the screen turned white and "foggy". I also tried apps from a couple of sources, and they couldn't be opened. What gives?
could not be opened? what happened? how much room do you have on your phone?

Upvote 0
I should have enough. The thing's essentially brand new, with a 64 GB sd card. It keeps bugging me about some software update that I probably don't want. Why am I having such trouble with a simple download of an app?
its not about the sd card, but how much storage that comes with the phone....unless you formatted the sd card as internal......did you?

Upvote 0
I guess I can't do that because Nook doesn't show on the apps list. I also don't know how to find download manager. I don't know why this phone can't handle an app that the Galaxy S5 could maybe 5 or 6 years ago.
so a couple of reasons. if the app has not been updated since the time of the s5, it may not work as well on newer android os versions. or the developer has not supported the app for your new phone. some apps work better on various phones.

as far as the nook app. it should be in your app drawer. or was this pre-installed already?

Upvote 0
the problem with installing apk., it will depend on what version you install, where you got the apk, and whether the apk will work with your phone and with the android os installed on your phone. by goohoo you mean google, right? and by google, you mean the play store, correct? if so then wipe cache and data for the app, uninstall the app, reinstall it and see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones