• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New and have some questions.

I am new to the Android World I am coming from a BlackBerry Bold which just died on me and I want something new. I decided on Android and this phone mostly because of ratio of features to price. Now I will be picking this phone up in the very near future and until then I have some questions.

1. Why is their a Samsung Galaxy Light and a Samsung Spica forum? Aren't both these phones the same thing?
2. I will be buying this phone from Rogers and would like the update to 2.1. Is their an official update I can use? Are there any custom OS updates which work better with the phone? I don't think I mind rooting the phone as I am pretty good with technology over all but I just want to get the most out of this phone as possible.
3. How is the phone for gaming and apps? I saw some videos of it on Youtube and some games were really lagy. Also are there any apps that won't work on this phone?
4. Is the screen glass? Does the phone overall scratch easily?
5. Are there any recommendations anyone can give me?
6. What is your personal opinion about this phone? A little review stating what you like about it and what you don't would be greatly appreciated. Please state what OS.

I usually don't make these type of posts but this phone doesn't seem to be very popular and it's very hard to find many personal reviews/opinions of the phone.
If I have any more questions I'll post here.

Hi & welcome to the forum.

1. I don't know why there are different forums! Yes, the Galaxy lite/portal/Spica are the same device!

2. There are loads of roms around, you just need to read about each one but most are happy with the official 2.1 release. Some people are skeptical about roms & what looks to be official might not be. I haven't looked into this much so hopefully, someone more enlightened will be along to help!

3. Haven't played games apart from abduction so can't help you there.

4. The screen is plastic, I have mine in my trouser pocket with keys & loose change & haven't scratched it yet, but I have a silicone skin on order & really must get a screen protector.

5. Recommendations for what??

6. It's a great phone. When I was looking for a new mobile, I seriously considered a Blackberry but settled for the Galaxy Lite. There are so many apps available.

Upvote 0
Alright so the official 2.1 firmware is not out? Then whats with all the posts like this one which say it's out: Samsung Galaxy Spica grows up to Android 2.1 -- Engadget

Are there any disadvantages in flashing with Odin an unofficial firmware? Also how easy/hard is it to brick this phone?

the engadget article merely references the samsung press release that they will be bringing 2.1 to the phone offically

Upvote 0
I got the phone now but when ever I use the browser it just doesn't load anything or sometimes loads google.com but almost nothing else. I do have a data plan and the correct APN settings and everything elsew works, youtube, google maps, etc. Does anyone have any idea why?

Also this is a new Rogers phone but is being used on Bell Canada. The phones does have Rogers branding though. Would it still be alright to "unofficially" upgrade to 2.1? And if I do upgrade will I loose all the useless Service Provider icons?

Upvote 0
I got sick of waiting for samsung to roll out the 2.1 update in the UK, so I've flashed 2.1 using odin and JCF it took 5mins (with 2+hours researching ;) )and it works perfectly although you need to back up the APN details. It's been running great the past few days on T-Mobile.

I recommend installing some 2.1 apps which samsung appeared to have removed like 3dgallery, the music player and genie news/weather. They can be found with a quick google and you don't need to root the phone.

Upvote 0
I figured out the browser problem. It was the port in my apn settings.

I got sick of waiting for samsung to roll out the 2.1 update in the UK, so I've flashed 2.1 using odin and JCF it took 5mins (with 2+hours researching )and it works perfectly although you need to back up the APN details. It's been running great the past few days on T-Mobile.

I recommend installing some 2.1 apps which samsung appeared to have removed like 3dgallery, the music player and genie news/weather. They can be found with a quick google and you don't need to root the phone.

Ok but I have a problem. The website: Login states that I should ask around in the forums for the North American firmware and I can't find anything. Btw did your phone have any carrier software branding before you flashed with 2.1? If it did does it still have it once you flashed 2.1 on it?

Anyone out their with a North American Spica running 2.1?

Upvote 0
I figured out the browser problem. It was the port in my apn settings.

Ok but I have a problem. The website: Login states that I should ask around in the forums for the North American firmware and I can't find anything. Btw did your phone have any carrier software branding before you flashed with 2.1? If it did does it still have it once you flashed 2.1 on it?

Anyone out their with a North American Spica running 2.1?

There was no T-Mobile branding that I'm aware of in 1.5 and none in 2.1 as far as I can tell. It is sim-locked to T-Mobile though.

Also I don't think the N. American firmware has been leaked - yet.

Upvote 0
So I just want to say thx to the people who helped me through my first week with the Spica :D and i'm loving it. I got it to upgrade to OS 2.1 easily and I got the phone from Rogers but I am using it on Bell. I don't know why their seem to be like 2 people on these forums with OS 2.1 Rogers Spicas but their seems to be no difference with the Firmwares between regions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones