1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New and Rooted - Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Psychopaths, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Psychopaths

Psychopaths Newbie

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and new to rooting. These are the steps I have taken towards rooting my phone:

1. I had my Esteem updated to "ZVC", so I followed the guide found here in order to downgrade to "ZVB."

http://androidforums.com/esteem-all...ed-zvc-wants-root-back-confirmed-working.html

2. Then, I proceeded to root my phone with the "One Click Root" method.

http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-things-root/426160-one-click-root-now-available.html

Questions:

1. In order to remove bloatware, I read that I need to use "Root Explorer." Where is that located? If it's an app, then I don't think I have it.

In fact, the only thing that has changed with my phone was that there was a new app called "Superuser" installed. EVERYTHING is basically the same. (All apps, settings, themes, etc are still on the phone after downgrading and "rooting." Not sure if this is normal.)

2. In the "One Click Root" thread, the last post states that:
    Does this mean that this method is no longer working or recommended? Is the "Root & Recovery" sticky the new way to root? I am so confused.

3. After I have successfully rooted my phone, what are the next recommended steps in order to maintain the best possible security and stability I can take? I'm talking about backups, performance, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text guys; I hope you guys can answer my questions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. matter0ni

matter0ni Well-Known Member

root explorer si not installed by default, you grab it from the market. poster before me has you covered on that.

it is normal for you not to notice any changes off the bat. a lot of apps require your phone to be rooted in order to function correctly, since now you are basically the real "admin" of your phone instead of a guest. that's one way to think of it. so now you have admin, and nothing else is different UNTIL you use your admin powers that other apps can utilize, such as custom ROMs which change a ton of things about your phone, CWM which is a super useful phone restoration/backup/ROM installer type of app, etc etc.

As long as your phone is the ZVB version, and not the ZVC, you can still use the "one click root" to root your phone.

I'm no guru and have limited experience, but I recommend for better performance a custom kernel such as the "OC" (overclocked) kernel which improves performance drastically. you can flash this custom kernel (core) using CWM (clockwork mod). Removing the bloatware from your phone will also increase performance, as will other various little things such as turning off mobile data (4g) when you aren't using it or are on wifi since it seems to be a huge battery hog.

Clockwork Mod is an excellent security app because should anything bad happen to your phone you can just go back and restore your phone to an earlier point, so if used properly can kinda make your phone, to a degree, "brick proof".

As far as security goes for getting your phone stolen or something like that, there are apps for that also, such as this one: Anti Droid Theft - Find your stolen or lost android / google phone

I hope some of this info helps

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews