• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New android devices?

Yeah no doubt Palm makes some great phones. That Pre is pretty loaded and WebOS interface is quite nice. Lack of dev support is a big minus tho.

Yeah... hopefully with the HP acquisition and HP's desire to release a tablet based on WebOS things will improve on the dev side.

t-readyroc said:
If you can hold out for another week, you should be able to hold out until June, right? ;) Patience, grasshoppa...

Don't worry... I won't do anything TOO irrational... not to say going to a WebOS phone is irrational. It's actually a really solid OS.

Upvote 0
I know there have been other rumors, but the mostly clueless Best Buy employee yesterday said that the next Android phone will be out in "2 weeks" and the ATT dude said May 22 "as long as there are no more delays"
Hopefully they can get the Aero out then, and start working/marketing the "High End" Android that most of us are trying to hold out for.

I am afraid that I will probably just grab an Aero and hope they get a better one out within 30 days. I NEED a new phone for a family vacation in early July.

Upvote 0
Sadly I think some of the worse news we could get came yesterday when engadet showed that the apple deal is until 2012. Now things could happen to shorten it but I suspect that AT&T does not wat to subsidize a phone that will compete with the iphone. So we are stuck with lower level android phones.

Upvote 0
Zappcatt said:
I know there have been other rumors, but the mostly clueless Best Buy employee yesterday said that the next Android phone will be out in "2 weeks" and the ATT dude said May 22 "as long as there are no more delays"
Hopefully they can get the Aero out then, and start working/marketing the "High End" Android that most of us are trying to hold out for.

I am afraid that I will probably just grab an Aero and hope they get a better one out within 30 days. I NEED a new phone for a family vacation in early July.

If you're getting a phone just to get a phone and it has to be a smart phone I'd honestly recommend the Palm Pre Plus. It's a super slick phone and you may even decide to keep it(if you can get past the lack of apps). I'd be willing to bet it will be a better phone than the Aero.

Best Buy seems to be the best/only rumor source for AT&T Android phones lately. Which is more than a little scary.

Edit; May 22nd is a Saturday. That's kind of an odd time to launch a phone, being RIGHT after Google I/O... Maybe he meant the 20th, which I could definitely see happening.

AT&T has a tendency to launch on Sundays(not sure if all carriers do), so even the 20th is unlikely.

t-readyroc said:
Pretty sad that we're "anticipating" the release of a phone like the Aero :(

So true... I'm REALLY hoping that at least the Legend launches around the same time as the Aero...

Upvote 0
Judging the way AT&T restricted the Motorola backflip, does any of us really expect that any AT&T branded Android phone is going to fulfill its original specs?

Until AT&T realizes that Android phones are not Google close walled Iphones, it will not be successful with Androids. AT&T should take a look at how Verizon treated the Droid if it wants success with Android phones.

Upvote 0
Judging the way AT&T restricted the Motorola backflip, does any of us really expect that any AT&T branded Android phone is going to fulfill its original specs?

Until AT&T realizes that Android phones are not Google close walled Iphones, it will not be successful with Androids. AT&T should take a look at how Verizon treated the Droid if it wants success with Android phones.

Have you looked at the Aero its specs are garbage but it is a google phone. And I am hoping by that they learned the lesson already.

Upvote 0

AT&T probably views it as a threat. It offers free builtin GPS (a service they offer), free tethering (a service they offer), hell with Google Voice you even get free SMS and can find a way around paying for minutes. Their flagship phone is sold unsubsidized.

AT&T can make much more money off the iPhone and Pre than they can off Android (nickel and dimeing you for everything). That is why I don't think AT&T will ever get a powerful Android phone.

Upvote 0

With the mod scene out there I could care less if they lock down the phone. Given a bit of time the phone will be rooted and solid roms will start popping up, so... just release a good phone already!!

Upvote 0
With the mod scene out there I could care less if they lock down the phone. Given a bit of time the phone will be rooted and solid roms will start popping up, so... just release a good phone already!!

Easy said than done. For example, when Rogers closed the root for its version of the HTC Magic due to the E911 bug, the phone became unrootable for 5 months. It became rootable only when someone in Europe found, by chance, a new RUU for the phone to work.

So far, I haven't seen a successful rooting process for the Backflip. People are trying with the Sony Ericsson X10 but no successful so far.

Android phones are NOT Windows mobile phones. Windows mobile phones are easier to gain access. So, my suggestion to anyone who thinks somehow, someone will do a free service for them and root a phone, think again. The chances of successful root are higher with HTC phones, just because XDA people have more experience with them. For other manufacturers, it is up to the whims of whoever wants to tinker with the OS.

So, if you plan to buy a AT&T branded Androids phone just because of the subsidy, be prepare to live with whatever AT&T clipped the phone with.

Upvote 0
So, if you plan to buy a AT&T branded Androids phone just because of the subsidy, be prepare to live with whatever AT&T clipped the phone with.

(unless they finally release an HTC phone ;))

Ambictus - right now, the Legend's starting to look like a superphone as far as AT&T's concerned. *sigh*

Upvote 0
Easy said than done. For example, when Rogers closed the root for its version of the HTC Magic due to the E911 bug, the phone became unrootable for 5 months. It became rootable only when someone in Europe found, by chance, a new RUU for the phone to work.

So far, I haven't seen a successful rooting process for the Backflip. People are trying with the Sony Ericsson X10 but no successful so far.

Android phones are NOT Windows mobile phones. Windows mobile phones are easier to gain access. So, my suggestion to anyone who thinks somehow, someone will do a free service for them and root a phone, think again. The chances of successful root are higher with HTC phones, just because XDA people have more experience with them. For other manufacturers, it is up to the whims of whoever wants to tinker with the OS.

For the most part they all seem to get rooted eventually and I'm a fairly patient person(despite my seemingly desperate posts:) ).

As for the Backflip... I think it's a terrible example of rooting progress. I think there is a lack of interest in the Backflip due to it's fairly outdated hardware and seemingly small user base. As for having someone else offer me a free service... well it's kinda what they do cause they want to. In all honesty I'd gladly help if I had even the slightest idea of how to. I'm fairly technologically adept but at the same time a complete idiot when it comes to programming and hacking.

Anyway... I'm not made of money so a subsidy is a great thing for me. And if the phone I get never ends up getting rooted, well then that works too. I've been using feature phones my whole life so a mildly locked down smart phone isn't going to kill me.

Upvote 0
Anyway... I'm not made of money so a subsidy is a great thing for me. And if the phone I get never ends up getting rooted, well then that works too. I've been using feature phones my whole life so a mildly locked down smart phone isn't going to kill me.

Mildly seems like an understatement.

I wouldn't mind if I could at least get rid of whatever at&t puts on the phone..

But, it is up to at&t to support updates... sooo good luck.. E71x is still waiting.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You wanted a powerful Android device and the Streak might be that.

Only problem is, with a 5" diagonal screen, you are probably going to have to wear cargo pants or get a man purse. Maybe even wear Mickey Mouse gloves when holding it. :D

No no... I wanted a powerful Android PHONE. That thing is NOT a phone, it's some kind of phone/tablet hybrid monstrosity. Seriously, how the hell do you hold that to your ear comfortably??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones