1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Android; Switching from Iphone 4 (Help!)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Spooned, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Spooned

Spooned Lurker

Hey there everyone! I'd first off like to say that these forums seem to be pretty amazing. I've had quite a few questions about my android and every time I google it, it seems to bring me to these forums. Great community it seems! So thanks in advance!

Currently, I've been using an Iphone for the past 2 years. It's simple to use, quite functional and I've never had a problem with it.

Last week, I decided to pick up a Samsung Galaxy S2X (Hercules) just so I could play around with it and get some diversity. First impressions of the phone were good, however I was getting quite a few problems with it.

First thing I did was factory reset the phone. I then updated it to 4.0.3 through Samsung Kies.

Once this was done, I noticed quite a few problems including interface lag, messaging glitches, among other things. Long story short, I did another factory reset (It reset to 4.0.3) and it fixed every issue.

At this point, the only issues I'm having with the phone is the battery life of it. I can understand that when it's on, it will be sucking battery life like an original GameBoy... But when I click the lock button, it still seems to be sucking battery like crazy.

I've searched lots and did things like installed JuiceDefender which seems to help. Currently, I'm getting about 60 hours of standby time. This is with no use of the phone and having it just sit there.

In comparison to my Iphone, this seems VERY short. That being said, I understand android works in a different manner. Apps are still using battery even when the phone is locked...

Without rooting, is there any way of setting my android up to act like the Iphone? I don't see why I should have to disable Wifi every time I put my phone down, only to turn it back on again. Or if I want my dropbox to sync, why I have to enable and then disable sync when I turn the phone off.

Any battery saving tips I would love! It looks to me like "Android System" is using most of the battery during sleep mode. Could be something to do with the like.. 20 apps that come with the phone that are unable to be removed without rooting.

Thanks for the help in advance! : )

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sk8erachet90

Sk8erachet90 Lurker

If you can try and get JuiceDefender Ultimate, it will help much more. Also get a Task killer app, try "Advanced Task Killer".
    These two have helped me alot in the past.
    But if thats not enough I would Recommend Rooting it becuase it will help alot.

Hope I helped. :D

Spooned likes this.
  3. Spooned

Spooned Lurker

Are task killers really a good thing? I've read forum posts saying that killing tasks is not necessary in an android and in fact slows down the phone.

4. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

Spooned and Crashdamage like this.
  5. Spooned

Spooned Lurker

Yeah, that's the post that I read!

That being said, let's take a look at something like the Facebook App for both android and Iphone...

For Android, it's an option to set it to sync periodically, correct?

On my Iphone, whenever I receive a facebook update, I get that update on my phone within a like 30 seconds. This doesn't seem to take any extra battery power, however on the android, to get this exact same setup, it seems it would mean the app would need to be constantly running and would be using battery non stop?

Please clear this up for me. Thanks! : )

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

60hrs of standby time is awesome. Android system using battery while turned off is normal, because no other app is using battery so it will show up as the highest percentage used. You actually already exceeded GMSArena's rated battery life for the S2X.

On the above question, Facebook for iPhone is using push notifications as far as I know. So far Facebook hasn't implemented that yet on Android app (apart from their Messenger app), so the Android version uses periodic polling. This uses more battery than push notification as fas as I can tell.

Spooned likes this.
  7. Spooned

Spooned Lurker

That's fantastic. Thank you so much! : )