1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

new android user here lg thrill

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jstnslby, Sep 22, 2011.

1. jstnslby

jstnslby Lurker

Been lurking around here for a bit and figured I would go ahead and register finally. I work for target mobile selling the big three wireless companies. They provided me with a windows phone 7 (LG quantum) as well as an HTC inspire. I have been using the quantum for 6 months and its a nice phone...durable; easy to use; uverse mobile works great. I just picked up the LG thrill. This is my first android device and so far I'm confused. The 3d is awesome and I love having the 1080p HD video as well as the big screen. But coming from a 3g phone without the dual core or 4g I am kind of dissapointed. This phone is not much faster then the quantum and it seems very glichy...uverse mobile doesn't work..sometimes pages won't load online...force close has happened a few times. Also it froze completely the other night and I had to remove my case (which is a task in itself) to remove the battery. So seeing as there is a bunch of knowledgeable people here I was wondering if you all could answer some questions for me.
    1. I have looked into upgrading the android OS. And came up with mixed results. The phone itself is not ready for an update. And I keep coming across "rooting" the phone and was wondering if this would be a good idea? I found the site with the instructions on how to do it but not sire what I would be doing.

2. I know this is a network thing but it seems even when I am in a hspa+ area I am not getting faster speeds then my quantum. Also the phone doesn't work any faster then my quantum. I've done a lot of research on this phone and was expecting a very fast phone network and computing wise. So maybe upgrading or rooting will allow the phone to live up to its potential?

I appreciate any help. Also..as I learn this android system and phone I will try to be helpful as possible. My first tip....mirror screen covers take away from the 3d just a Tad bit. Also...if u r going to purchase any phone target will have it for nearly half the price of the dealer or core stores on all carriers. I got my thrill for 49 bucks!

Advertisement

2. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Well first of all congratulations on your new device. I can honestly say that I have yet to experience any glitches. Maybe you have a bad device cause I compared my phone to a buddy of mine which owns a epic 4G touch (sprint's gs2 version) and its not that much of a difference when it comes to opening apps and scrolling. To be honest I didn't really see a difference except in screen comparisons where are colors tend to look a little washed out. As for internet speed, blame that on at&t's network or your area coverage. Sometimes mine is pretty decent and sometimes I can't even get a full mbps out of this device. As for rooting, well if u want custom roms on your device that'll help the performance of your phone then you would root. Be advised though rooting does void your warrenty so its up to you. You can't go wrong with this phone!

3. jstnslby

jstnslby Lurker

Thanks for the input. I have gotten download speeds up to 5.9 mbps and have figured a few things out. Still is a bit glitchy wondering if there will be an update to gingerbread anytime soon.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Well the optimus 3D is due this month and I'm hoping LG puts it out for us too.