1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

new android user - wondering what tablet, and what apps for a music teacher/musician

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jasonbmerrill, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jasonbmerrill

jasonbmerrill Newbie

Hello,

I am a musician and a music teacher who wishes to use an android tablet for 2 main purposes:

1. to teach music - if I could display short scores on it, or music theory interactive lessons, it would help me, as well as keeping tabs on my students.

2. more importantly, to display lyrics and put on a stand at gigs... I need to have a widescreen flipped long ways so that i can see entire songs, with chords if needed. Being able to open up rtf, pdf, doc, docx is a must.

I would also love to use it for recording, but i dont know what devices would work on it, and i heard low latency audio for android kinda sucks.

so I have an acer iconia 200 tablet - planning on trying or just buying the transformer prime tablet tomorrow.

what do you think? what apps do I need? what's a good tablet for me?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

How do you plan on allowing everyone to see the screen? The screens aren't that big and aren't visible unless you're within a few feet of the device. I mean, it is, but not legible if it's small text or what have you.

3. jasonbmerrill

jasonbmerrill Newbie

excellent point, but no, I am actually just in one on one lessons at a conservatory, so it would only need to be on a stand within 5 feet or so.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Oh very good then =)

Will it actually be playing music or will it just be used as a visual aide?

5. jasonbmerrill

jasonbmerrill Newbie

A visual aide, but if I were to play music I would probably use an external amp anyway. It's speakers don't mean too much. I might access youtube from it.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Good, because volume WOULD be an issue. My guess is, you can have your pick of any mainstream tablet and do fine. My personal (bias lol) choice would be the transformer prime.

7. jasonbmerrill

jasonbmerrill Newbie

got the prime :)

the invisible shield is now setting on it.

so what apps do i get?

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Well, I generally find apps by exploring, but let's take this one at a time. Can you give me a list of specific goals you'd like to achieve and maybe we can discover new apps together. I'm always up for that. :D

9. jasonbmerrill

jasonbmerrill Newbie

ok one thing at a time.

first off all, I find that trying to get apps is a total crapshoot! (not unlike on iOS, I have an iphone 4.)

search for music apps.
    search for music teaching apps.

its really difficult to find what i need. It really is trial and error, eh?

apps for music teaching - all of these need to work in a horizontal orientation. I hope to have this sitting on a music stand in front of us, or stood up on a guitar amp.

1. a metronome. Something with a light that blinks along with the sound, a slider which controls the speed, and one important thing: a steady beat. I have heard of the audio latency/reliability problems with android, but I didn't realize it could get so bad! perhaps it's the app maker at fault, but a number of metronomes I have found display major timing errors at higher beats per minute! So whatever metronome I get it needs to be steady.

2. guitar chord chart - something that displays how to play the chord, what notes are in it, different voicings, and a large amount of chords in its repository. Would love to be able to move notes to make new chords and have the problem auto-detect it.

3. music staff composition software. something to show a basic but large music staff, I can add notes of different pitch and timing, and hear the result. This could be very simple.