1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New app - Can You Drive?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Tofira, May 15, 2011.

1. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Hey,

We've added a new app to the market - Can You Drive?

The app helps you to decide whether you can drive your car legally.

It contains a database of drinks (390 items), that includes all the popular drinks you know.

The program recognizes your general location, and adjusts itself to the local law in your country.

You can also add custom drinks(and take their photos) and see what else you can drink before reaching the alcohol limit.You may also create cocktails and mixes - simply enter the ingredients and the app will calculate your cocktail's alcohol content.

Facebook integration is included as well.

The app supports both US and Metric units.

A statistics page is also available(including many facts), as well as a 'call a friend' feature, which allows you to call a friend or a taxi in case you crossed the alcohol limit.

The app uses the Widmark's Formula for it's calculations. The results shown are of course a recommendation, and are supposed to give you general indication.You should not drink and drive.

We would really like to hear some feedback.

Markets links -
    Market | App Brain | Amazon | GetJar

Direct Links -
    Mega Upload | Hotfile | RapidShare

Important message - (16.06.11)
    Due to a certain problem we had to remove the app from the market and upload it again.
    If you've downloaded our app, we highly recommend that you'd re-download it, so you could get future updates(including the one that was released today).
    We are sorry for any inconceivable this may have caused.

Changes in the latest version(1.0.7, released 16.06.11)
    * The app now remembers your drinks after you've left it, allowing you to use the app in real-time throughout the evening.

* Added more drinks.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Mickael and Ben

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

Unless the app lets you blow in the phone and does a test that way, it can't help you determine whether you can drive or not.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

How do you work out the units of alcohol? Do you use the Strength (ABV) x Volume (ml)

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Shouldn't weight also be included as i can drink my wife under the table two or three time she is about 100 lbs and I'm around 160

5. goodm0urning

goodm0urning Member

I hope it updates your status to something like

So and So: Is driving drunk right now, lol. He's at <insert GPS location>.

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Aka police alert pro

7. Sombre

Sombre Well-Known Member

If you drink, don't drive, the limit is for unexpected scenarios, not so you can drink some, drive, then kill my son.

8. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

You don't need an app to tell you it's okay to drink and drive. IT'S NOT.

That is why you need a designated driver, or a taxi.

Apps shouldn't tell you otherwise.

"But officer! My phone told me to do it!"

You can use your phone to phone someone to pick you up. That's all that should be done.

Just my 2 cents.

9. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Ok, let's see.

First of all - the app is not can of course be slightly wrong, and it's not as accurate as the police's tools. What the app does is giving you guidance and advice about your state. You can use it to get an idea about when you can drive.

@Yeahha - The app uses the Widmark's formula in it's calculations. It's widely regarded as the best way to measure alcohol content. I don't know about other apps, or why they didn't use it, but I do know that Widmark's is the way to go.
    You can read about it here -
    cseserv.engr.scu.edu

Also, a clarification- the app isn't intended for people who go to a party, drink 8 shots and want to drive. It's intended for people who drive to a pub and want to have a beer and still be able to drive back home. That you can do.

Thanks

10. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

Your link didn't post properly.

Every person is different.

Blood alcohol calculator\tutorial

Also, in China, it is illegal to drive after drinking ANY alcohol. Personally, I rather prefer that law, and I'd rather not have any phone apps telling people they are "OK" to drive.

11. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Every person's metabolism's rate is different, yes, but the app takes the 'average person'. If the metabolism rate varies from 10 to 20, for example, the app takes 15. Even if you are at 20, the calculation shouldn't be that far off, and you could still get an indication about your state.

I'm not telling you by any means to drink and drive, that's not the intention of the app.

12. First off, it WILL be wrong. There is no way your app can be correct for every single person out there. There are too many factors, age, weight, height, how much food you eat that day, how strong the bartender made the drink...

You shouldn't be using an app to tell you whether or not you can drive. if you drink, DONT DRIVE.

And I'm sure this app is a great tool for that, and you should change the name of the app to something like "Alcohol calculator" or something, NOT "can i drive?" You should NOT be associating our app with alcohol and driving. If anything happens to anyone using your app, YOU could be the one to gets in trouble.

And having ONE beer and driving home is ok for a lot of people. ANd for those people who only one ONE beer, they dont need an app to tell them whether or not they can drive.

But it doesnt matter. If it's off AT ALL, your app is useless. You are giving people false hope on whether or not they can drive. Yes, it may give an accurate reading for SOME people, but it can also give a COMPLETELY WRONG reading for others. What is a small lightweight girl uses this app, which is obviously calculated to work for an average male, and it tells her she is fine to drive. She could have had enough after one drink, and your app wouldnt know any better.

Well sorry, you came on here to advertise your app to us, and we are going to give you our opinions. If you dont want our negative opinions of your app, delete this thread, or remove your app from teh market.

And while a lot of people understand this, you have to understand that there are a lot of stupid people out there who will actually think this app can be trusted. And for those people, this app could kill them.

13. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

@sitlet -

Have you used the app? If a little skinny girl uses it, the result would be different than if a heavy-weight male would have used it. The app takes weight and gender into account, and the result vary greatly.

I'm not giving people false hope, i'm giving them general indication about their state.
    The app clearly states that, in 3 different places.
    Also, if the user is anywhere near the legal drinking limit, the app warns him(tells him he shouldn't drive and that he should designate a sober driver).

I still don't think you've come to understand what is app is all about.

14. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

This statement you made right here is exactly the problem with your app. It's shocking to me that you don't get it.

Some people out there are going to trust your app. If the app doesn't warn them, they will think they can drive safely. There are problems with this:

1) Your app isn't 100% accurate.

2) Even if the app can predict blood alcohol level somewhat accurately, it cannot predict how impaired that driver will be. (Different people respond differently to the same BAC level.)

3) Any amount of alcohol consumption impairs driving ability. Even if the person has a "legal" blood alcohol level, that doesn't mean it is a "safe" level to be driving.

And if you don't care about that, or want to pretend not to care about that, think about this. Someone uses your app and they then go out and kill someone while driving under the influence, it's conceivable they could blame you and your app for implying that they could drive safely. They sue you, and you lose everything.

Yeah, I know, it doesn't make sense. Neither does it make sense that a woman could sue McDonalds for serving her hot coffee at a hot temperature. Or how about the woman that followed Google Maps directions and got hit by a car.

People are looking for someone else to blame when bad things happen. You are making yourself a target.

15. Very, very well said. Exactly what I was trying to say. We aren't trying to make fun of your app, or tell you that it sucks. We are just trying to watch out for you, and make sure nothing happens to you because you created this app. We are just letting you know, this app is on shaky ground, so watch out.

16. rosemark0206

rosemark0206 Member

In terms of legal issues.... you might be able to get by with just putting a disclaimer stating this is just for fun... and should not be the only factor that contributes to if you can drive or not...

17. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

If your app gets any popularity, it is a matter of when not if you ever get sued. It could also end up criminal against you if someone using your app kills someone. Are you prepared to shell out $100k to defend yourself? Even a really good disclaimer might not be enough to protect you.

18. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Again, we didn't create this app to encourage people to drink and drive, but to plan their evening responsibly, and to know their limits.

Like any other human-related calculator, the results are not 100% accurate, but they do give general advice regarding your state. We do warm the user if he approaches the legal limit because the app is not 100% accurate.

Can you try looking at it this way - What if someone will rely on the app and waits for 30 minutes, when otherwise he would just drive?

Anyway, I wanted to say that 2 updates have been released since the thread was opened.The updates include -

* You can now create custom cocktails.Just enter your cocktail's ingredients and the app will calculate it's alcohol content.

* The app now remembers what you like drinking, and pushes your favorite drinks to the top of the list so you can locate them faster.

* Added an option to call a friend or a taxi to take you home.

* Added lots of new drinks and quantities to choose from.

Thanks.

19. And again, if you want to continue to push this app, we have warned you what could come of it.

Does this take into account the different brands of liquor? Different proofs? How strong the bartender pours the drinks? How quick you drink it? What you have eaten that day? How quickly your individual body handles alcohol? If it doesnt do ANY of these things, then its useless.

20. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Let's look at the very popular calories calculators. Millions of people are using them even though they are not 100% accurate. Why are they still using them? Because they give true indication.

21. bamhm182

bamhm182 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the answer should automatically be no. >_< if you need an application to tell you if you're drunk, you shouldn't be driving.

amlothi likes this.
  22. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

Thank you for your insightful post.

23. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Hey all,
    A new update has been released - 1.0.6. Features -

* Added statistics page.

* Added new drinks.

* The alcohol limit has been updated in some countries.

* Bug fixes.

Thanks,
    Mickael and Ben

24. Tofira

Tofira Newbie

Important message (16.06.11)-
    Due to a certain problem we had to remove the app from the market and upload it again.
    If you've downloaded our app, we highly recommend that you'd re-download it, so you could get future updates(including the one that was released today).
    We are sorry for any inconceivable this may have caused.

Link to the new version -
    http://market.android.com/details?id=canyou.drive

Changes in the latest version(1.0.7, released 16.06.11)
    * The app now remembers your drinks after you've left it, allowing you to use the app in real-time throughout the evening.

* Added new drinks.