• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Apps from FB: Camera & Messenger?

Its not really an app it is a short cut to the section of facebook app that applies to it. If you try to get rid of the short cut it will get rid of the Facebook app. The alternatives for Facebook, FriendCaster, does the same thing. You might be able to get rid of it by messing with the settings in facebook.

I think the problem is you can't make a shortcut like that on android with out doing it the way facebook did. They could of made a widget instead but widgets are always running and eating up battery.

Reactions: Dan Davies
Upvote 0
Its not really an app it is a short cut to the section of facebook app that applies to it. If you try to get rid of the short cut it will get rid of the Facebook app. The alternatives for Facebook, FriendCaster, does the same thing. You might be able to get rid of it by messing with the settings in facebook.

I think the problem is you can't make a shortcut like that on android with out doing it the way facebook did. They could of made a widget instead but widgets are always running and eating up battery.

Thanks for such a clear explanation! Also, I had not known that widgets did that! So the more widgets I have on my home screen, the more battery draw? I suppose that the amount of draw is dependent upon the type of widget?

Dan

Upvote 0
I was wrong about Friendcaster it only adds a messenger short cut if you ask for it so that is an option. Yea widgets and extra screens does use some of your juice, at least that is true with my old Ginger Bread Droid 2. I am not sure if that is true with ICS Nexus.

I read this from lifehacker and Droid-life but that was a long time ago and I am not sure how much of a difference that will make.
One of the worst battery killers though are task killers and bright wall papers. And if you look up facebook app running in back ground you might find some forums stating that Facebook app is a resource hog. Which I haven't seen but I wasn't paying that much attention.

By the way I strongly sugest that you get FriendCaster or Fast Facebook instead. Or just use your browser to get to facebook. Over 3 million people uploaded it and more then 1.5 million are giving it less then 3 stars, that is pretty bad.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mYWNlYm9vay5rYXRhbmEiXQ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones