• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New ATT N3 Guy Here, Can I Unlock It?

XiphoneUzer

Nov 28, 2013
Long time Mac Rumors member.
JB3g, JB3gs, JB4, JB4s (same)

Not buying POS 5 & 5s (same). Not waiting another yr for the 6.

Sick of these tiny screens, sick of waiting for JB's.

So I went BIG, Note 3 from ATT, hope I like it.

1) - 1st thing I wanna know BEFORE I call ATT and activate it.

2) - For highest resale value, can I unlock this phone so I can sell it next yr when the N4 comes out?

3) - Is there anything I should do with this phone, BEFORE I activate it?

lastly ...... I read the 3 page screen protector thread. Is their a general consensus about which tempered glass protector is best?

ATT will unlock it for you once it's paid off (after 2yr contract) or they might after you sign a new contract for a new phone in a year's time, they won't up front and they won't before your contact is up without a new contract signed.

They unlocked my Note 2 once I activated the 3 (one year on the 2 contract) but they mentioned it was in part because I'm a long-time customer.

The other option is their new plan where you get an upgrade each year if you know you want to do that.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
ATT will unlock it for you once it's paid off (after 2yr contract).

Thanks Dave, but I was asking if "I" could unlock it, (not ATT).

I saw a bunch of stuff using Google, BEFORE I received the phone.
Now that I have it,I decided to join this site so I would not have to rely on Google.

I hope someone here has knowledge of an "unlock" by the user? :)

(is there a screen protector thread hiding from me around here, would like tempered glass).

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge, unlocking without the carriers consent is illegal in the U.S. as of January 2013.
What the DMCA cell phone unlock ban means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News
unless your contract is up and the phone is yours...paid in full.

You could go to your carrier and inquire about having it unlocked..

Edit: found this for AT&T:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57573331-94/at-t-ban-on-unlocking-phones-wont-affect-our-customers/
It's from back in March of this year.

I'll peak around for a screen protector thread for ya:)

Upvote 0
Anything you can do before it's activated you can also do after doing so. It's got a locked bootloader and knox security, so that's something to keep in mind if you want to go the rooting/roming way. As for the SIM unlock, it would raise the value if you were to resell it. However, due to the DCMA update, it is illegal to do it without AT&T giving consent even if you bought the phone outright. If done without their consent, the consequences are up to a $1,500 fine and up to 1 year of prison per device unlocked if AT&T decided to enforce it. Because of that, it is site policy to not discuss methods to circumvent that permission. AT&T has a policy about when they'll unlock phones, so that's something you'll want to look up here: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones