• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Battery Monitor (app)?

kenyu73

Oct 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
I started developing this yesterday, and wanted to get thoughts. My goal is a notification driven warning service. It's not going to "fix" the issues, but will at least monitor some key things.

I'm just trying to take all these forum posts where users don't understand what is causing a battery drain.

I don't want to make this app to complicated, but want it to be useful to auto catch issues before the phone dies.

Attachments

• BatteryDetective.JPG
    BatteryDetective.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 253
I would install that if it doesn't use anymore resources than say, No Signal Alert.

For awake time, if you didn't already, a good idea would be to have a preliminary period where it doesn't notify that it's 100%. For example, someone reboots their phone and plays with it for 10mins after the reboot.

Upvote 0
I would install that if it doesn't use anymore resources than say, No Signal Alert.

For awake time, if you didn't already, a good idea would be to have a preliminary period where it doesn't notify that it's 100%. For example, someone reboots their phone and plays with it for 10mins after the reboot.

Yeah, I have preliminary thresholds and minimum monitoring times setup. I'll also have a type of "dismiss/snooze" option (maybe when you tap the alert.

All those details are still on the design board, :cool:

Upvote 0
Bah, it's FREE now... just added "AdMob" to it... enjoy!

I've published my app in the Market (.99c). Search for 'kenyu73' or 'Battery Detective'.

I'll be adding more monitors hopefully that find high cpu apps and non-sleep apps.... if you do plunge and buy this (instead of a $1 Mc'ds dollar menu burger), I hope it helps out!

BatteryDetective_notify.JPG

Upvote 0
Battery monitors drain the battery. It is a sick circle of using the battery to power the processor to run the battery monitor app to view the battery usage. Stop obsessing over the battery and you won't notice the drain so much. Great app design but only serves the purpose of watching the battery die.

Upvote 0
Battery monitors drain the battery. It is a sick circle of using the battery to power the processor to run the battery monitor app to view the battery usage. Stop obsessing over the battery and you won't notice the drain so much. Great app design but only serves the purpose of watching the battery die.

I coded the monitors off the battery drain triggers themselves, not my own thread/loops. My whole direction was avoiding making the drain issue worse. Basically, if the battery isnt draining, then BatteryDetective is idle.

For example, I left the monitor on over night starting at 11pm, I woke up at 7:30am and the last 1% drain was at 3:45am.

Again, the logic is triggered off normal drain triggers... with the exception of signal triggers which is nothing but simple math and then notification trigger if needed.

Anyhow, it's good for what it does... monitoring your custom thresholds before your battery goes dead. :rolleyes:

It's also a good little general tool too...set the drain to 1% and see how long it takes to trigger a warning.... run a game and see how hot the battery gets...etc.

Upvote 0
I"m also still open for ideas too...I know there are a zillion monitors and tools in the market, but most seem to be diagnostic types or single purposed, not background battery babysitters for multiple checks... <shrug>

My next notify monitors will be...
* App(s) using high CPU for extended duration
* App(s) not sleeping

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones