1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New board for interesting discussions?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box & Feedback' started by MoodyBlues, Jan 13, 2020.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Choose compassion over cruelty
    VIP Member Thread Starter

All credit for this idea goes to @LV426. Could we please have a new board for spirited discussion?

If you're interested in its genesis, please start reading this thread at this post.

The gist of it is: P&CA is a shithole! :eek:

There, I said it.

There are members--and potential members--who would love to have rational, respectful, intelligent discourse on various topics, but won't go near P&CA because of its vile tone. Yes, I know, I get it, P&CA has its set rules...but it just doesn't work. I have loads I'd like to talk about, but you won't find me in P&CA...

In both real life and online I've seen how opposing opinions can be discussed in a respectful manner, no mud-slinging or name-calling involved. I've seen people change their stance on an issue after participating in respectful, but animated and informative discussion.

Please consider a new board, with a new, inviting name (Friendly Banter, perhaps?), its own clearly defined rules, tight moderation, and a zero-tolerance policy for infractions. The rules would make clear that the board is for discussing topics, not members, that you're free to voice your opinion and your reasons for disagreeing with others, but you cannot attack others because of their opposing viewpoint.

We want more members, right? And more, and better, discussions? Try this! It may help. :D

Advertisement

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by MoodyBlues, Jan 13, 2020 (1 points)
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I'm in...

MrJavi and MoodyBlues like this.
  4. Steven58

Steven58 "The Incompetent Moderator!"

See my post in your original query.

5. Mackey69

Mackey69 Newbie

Ditto

Dannydet and MoodyBlues like this.
  6. MoodyBlues

Thanks, I just did.

While I appreciate your take on it, I stand by my beliefs that: 1) a fresh, new, inviting board with clearly defined, and enforced, rules would be more attractive than P&CA, with its tarnished reputation, and, 2) people with opposing opinions can communicate respectfully.

Having run my own forum at one time (long story; it was temporary by design), and having been on the staff here, I feel very strongly that with consistent moderation, this can work.

Infractions could be handled with escalating punishments, starting with temporarily blocking access to the new board, all the way up to being permanently banned.

What is there to lose by giving this a try?

MrJavi likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

The problem isn't members, or the rules. Certain topics bring out the worst in the Internet. We can call the forum whatever we want, rational discussions get overshadowed by the loudest, and usually most ill informed, participants. My opinion is we already have a place for those discussions in PCA, and it is up to the members to keep discussions rational. I'm happy to moderate the threads as I do read most everything in there. But, as has been said, once certain politicians or subjects come up, well... :(

8. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I must have missed something...
    Let me check my links.

9. MoodyBlues

You see, this is where I must disagree--because I've LIVED IT.

I could list many more examples but will just give a few. Erik, a friend I met through my brother, shared my brother's polar-opposite-of-mine political views. We're talking could not be more opposite. :eek: We became best friends. He had become disabled and was waiting for the VA to do various surgeries; he had to quit working, he lost his apartment. I let this big, hulking, proud, disabled Marine move in with me--no strings attached, no rent, nothing.

We would sit and have the most amazing conversations--about politics! Other things, too, but they're not relevant. Never once did either of us yell, lose our tempers, denigrate the other, or--most importantly--change our feelings about each other. We just understood how to argue a TOPIC without attacking the PERSON.

Next was a client at work. It was an abortion-related organization--as far from my beliefs as possible. I worked closely with them for years, getting to know our main contact quite well. It should go without saying that if I had attacked her and/or the organization, we would've lost a client! And vice versa. This was by far my biggest test of being able to converse civilly about a topic, without ever devolving into an insult-fest.

I don't agree that P&CA already serves this purpose, nor can I agree that civil discourse is impossible. I've lived it. :) And online, too. Over the years I've been on forums for everything from vegetarianism and animal rights, to politics and abortion, and they ran just fine. YES, they absolutely had jerks come along whose sole purpose was attacking those with opposing views. They were dealt with swiftly and consistently. Meanwhile, the rest of us carried on with meaningful discussions. It can be done.