• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Boost Phones

Wow that's great news. It's really quite a rip off. Wimax is dead. It's footprint is small as deer shit. I was seriously thinking of upgrading to the S2 but am really sick and tired of the horrible data speeds. I've been a Virgin Mobile and recently a Boost Mobile customer for many years. I owned the Intercept, Optimus V, and now the Marquee which I love. But the data is horrible to the point where you're failing to get a good deal. For $369 you're getting robbed plain and simple. In the past there unfortunately hasn't been any other options for the most part.
Then Google started selling the Galaxy Nexus for 349. Now with Straightalk you can buy an at&t or T-mo sim for 15 bucks and get unlimited for $45. Data speeds on ST with an att sim are just the same as post paid (3mbps-12mbps down; 1-4 up) which is considerably more than what you will get with wimax on a shitty sprint network that is already dead(HSPA+ is still expanding). Not trying to rant just tired of it.
I'm no longer getting the most for my dollar with Sprint's prepaid brands(Virgin or Boost) nor is anyone else for that matter. I'll take an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus(superior) for 350 at 45 a month getting 3-12Mbps down over an S2(inferior) for 370 at 55 a month getting sub-dialup speeds. After having used both phones the S2 is very nice whereas the Nexus is breathtaking.
Yea, I'll take the nicer phone on a much faster network for less money a month. Thanks anyway Boost! :)

Upvote 0
I do notice in some areas the speeds are slow as crap. But I am only 1 mile from a tower. Speeds are freaking crazy fast. No 4g/wimax here yt. But supposedly by the end of the year. Begenning of next year. I'm down to 40 bucks a month nobody else offers shrinkage plan. And where I'm at att sux. My sister has had. Phone on every network. All being androids. And boost had the best data speeds. Don't know how even faster than her sprint phone I was surprised.being on were on the sprint tower. Weird. But I'm happy with boost. Also can't you talk and surf with wimax?

Upvote 0
I do notice in some areas the speeds are slow as crap. But I am only 1 mile from a tower. Speeds are freaking crazy fast. No 4g/wimax here yt. But supposedly by the end of the year. Begenning of next year. I'm down to 40 bucks a month nobody else offers shrinkage plan. And where I'm at att sux. My sister has had. Phone on every network. All being androids. And boost had the best data speeds. Don't know how even faster than her sprint phone I was surprised.being on were on the sprint tower. Weird. But I'm happy with boost. Also can't you talk and surf with wimax?
Not trying to sound rude man but what's your definition of "crazy fast"?

Also you shouldn't wait for 4g/wimax because it's dead. Meaning it's not expanding and hasn't for month's.

In all honesty you live in South Florida, which happens to be one of the sweetest spots in AT&T's data range. Yea you're blanketed with coverage.

In every speed test comparison I've seen on youtube ATT's HSPA+ smashes Sprint's Wimax.

AT&T 4G LTE - Get 4G Speed with AT&T 4G LTE & 4G HSPA+

So not sure which device your sister had. But just speaking from one android lover to another I'm just fed up with Sprint's prepaid brands(Boost, Virgin). I've enjoyed being customers of theirs for years and have loved my OV and my Marquee. But now we're entering and era where very nice high end handsets(GS2, GNex) are available for use on prepaid. These high end devices are capable of much more than Sprint's network is capable of providing in terms of performance and just plain usability. In the past I felt I was getting the most for my prepaid dollar. Not anymore.

With this being said the GS2 for Boost is a ripoff. If it were an LTE capable S2(They make em!) I would honestly consider it.

Again I'll take the nicer Galaxy Nexus for less money and put in on a network capable of allowing me to get the most from my device, also for less money a month.

If you're happy with an S2 that achieves sub-dialup data speeds on average great. Different strokes for different folks.:)

Really you saying Boost data speeds are the best you've heard/tried(?) is downright laughable. They're utterly horrible. I don't care if you're standing on a tower.

Upvote 0
Not trying to sound rude man but what's your definition of "crazy fast"?

Also you shouldn't wait for 4g/wimax because it's dead. Meaning it's not expanding and hasn't for month's.

In all honesty you live in South Florida, which happens to be one of the sweetest spots in AT&T's data range. Yea you're blanketed with coverage.

In every speed test comparison I've seen on youtube ATT's HSPA+ smashes Sprint's Wimax.

AT&T 4G LTE - Get 4G Speed with AT&T 4G LTE & 4G HSPA+

So not sure which device your sister had. But just speaking from one android lover to another I'm just fed up with Sprint's prepaid brands(Boost, Virgin). I've enjoyed being customers of theirs for years and have loved my OV and my Marquee. But now we're entering and era where very nice high end handsets(GS2, GNex) are available for use on prepaid. These high end devices are capable of much more than Sprint's network is capable of providing in terms of performance and just plain usability. In the past I felt I was getting the most for my prepaid dollar. Not anymore.

With this being said the GS2 for Boost is a ripoff. If it were an LTE capable S2(They make em!) I would honestly consider it.

Again I'll take the nicer Galaxy Nexus for less money and put in on a network capable of allowing me to get the most from my device, also for less money a month.

If you're happy with an S2 that achieves sub-dialup data speeds on average great. Different strokes for different folks.:)

Really you saying Boost data speeds are the best you've heard/tried(?) is downright laughable. They're utterly horrible. I don't care if you're standing on a tower.

you sound really angry. i wouldnt waste my time crying i would move on and leave it behind me

Upvote 0
you sound really angry. i wouldnt waste my time crying i would move on and leave it behind me
Angry? Crying? LOL. Have fun with that idea :)
I'm actually extremely happy and thrilled that my new Galaxy Nexus wont be be pulling 300kps down and 100kps up like the clowns that buy an S2 on Boost:D
But hey there's a sucker born every minute.

Knowledge can be intimidating for people in the habit of perpetuating bullshit;)

Just for fun Kev, post a screenshot of your evo V's 4g speedtest.......just for giggles :)

Upvote 0
I stick with Boost/Virgin Mobile because of Unlimited Data. I use at least 10gb+ every month. I think the Straight Talk unlimited $45 plan is limited to 2gb's of data. Then they throttle you or kill your data for the rest of the month.
There's a simple work around when you set up your ST sim in your phone for the first time to get past that. It's simple and it works. No such workaround exists on VM. Yea they throttle too. So Boost and their sub-dialup data speeds is all that's left. It's so poor it's barely usable. It's like getting a large group of poor thirsty people together. Split that group in half. Now lets give one group an unlimited amount of tainted water for a price. The other group we'll give an "unlimited" amount of clean, fresh drinking water and we won't charge as much for the good water.

I'm a clean water kinda guy. :D

Where you at in Westbygod?

Upvote 0
Angry? Crying? LOL. Have fun with that idea :)
I'm actually extremely happy and thrilled that my new Galaxy Nexus wont be be pulling 300kps down and 100kps up like the clowns that buy an S2 on Boost:D
But hey there's a sucker born every minute.

Knowledge can be intimidating for people in the habit of perpetuating bullshit;)

Just for fun Kev, post a screenshot of your evo V's 4g speedtest.......just for giggles :)
Only reason I'd get a nexus would be for 4.1 and data speeds other than that the s2 CPU and GPU are better than the nexus' but 350+ for an S2 is a rip off the us should have just been GSM completely even if CDMA call quality is better GSM is more universal >_> we wouldn't be stuck with shityy EvDo speeds

Upvote 0
Lolz @ 300kb down
42575ce7-a6d4-b50d.jpg

I see this daily...
1-1.5mbps during peak..... :rolleyes: that's good enough for me...

Upvote 0
There's a simple work around when you set up your ST sim in your phone for the first time to get past that. It's simple and it works. No such workaround exists on VM. Yea they throttle too. So Boost and their sub-dialup data speeds is all that's left. It's so poor it's barely usable. It's like getting a large group of poor thirsty people together. Split that group in half. Now lets give one group an unlimited amount of tainted water for a price. The other group we'll give an "unlimited" amount of clean, fresh drinking water and we won't charge as much for the good water.

I'm a clean water kinda guy. :D

Where you at in Westbygod?

So you can get unlimited data with Straight Talk? How much have you used before? This is getting interesting lol. I would love to have a GSM Android. But they're so strict (AT&T & T-Mobile) about their data. Straight talk GSM runs off AT&T and T-Mobile correct? And Straight Talk CDMA uses Verizon I believe. I use my wireless hotspot for most of my data use at home. The cable company said my house is too far away from the road :( But yeah I download Xbox 360 games, movies, music etc EVERYTHING! From my hotspot and I use a good chunk of data. At peak I get about 1.5Mbps down when downloading torrents etc. My latency on Boost CDMA is pretty good though. It's always around 100ms. I'd love to hear more about how to get unlimited data on Straight Talk GSM. Do you know of a thread somewhere describing this? And does it actually work?

Oh, and I live in Wood County West Virginia. Not a bad place, if you want to grow old and die lol. But it's home.

And I love clean water, but it's tainted by c8 around here thanks to DuPont

Upvote 0
Only reason I'd get a nexus would be for 4.1 and data speeds other than that the s2 CPU and GPU are better than the nexus' but 350+ for an S2 is a rip off the us should have just been GSM completely even if CDMA call quality is better GSM is more universal >_> we wouldn't be stuck with shityy EvDo speeds
After using both devices I can tell you in all honesty despite how nice the S2 is the Galaxy Nexus makes it appear and feel cheap in comparison. The screen on the Nexus blows the S2. It feels well made and superior in the hand. I care less about the specs. The fact that the Nexus is the prime development platform for Android means theres roughly 20 different fully functional ROMs based on JB right now. They're both great phones. The nexus just reaps the benefits of the best software first.

I haven't noticed much of a call quality difference between CDMA and GSM but I can tell you for sure GSM has much better battery life. In my experiences at least.
You don't have to be stuck with anything. It's no contract remember?!:p

Upvote 0
After using both devices I can tell you in all honesty despite how nice the S2 is the Galaxy Nexus makes it appear and feel cheap in comparison. The screen on the Nexus blows the S2. It feels well made and superior in the hand. I care less about the specs. The fact that the Nexus is the prime development platform for Android means theres roughly 20 different fully functional ROMs based on JB right now. They're both great phones. The nexus just reaps the benefits of the best software first.

I haven't noticed much of a call quality difference between CDMA and GSM but I can tell you for sure GSM has much better battery life. In my experiences at least.
You don't have to be stuck with anything. It's no contract remember?!:p

Yeah I for sure know that GSM androids are WAY WAY better on battery life. My girlfriend's Android on AT&T gets better battery life than my CDMA Boost Marquee. I would consider switching to Straight Talk's any phone program. But like I said, i'm just concerned I would get capped @ 2GB's, be throttled etc. I've been a loyal Sprint/Virgin/Boost customer for years. As soon as i can get a guarantee I'll get truly unlimited data on Straight Talk or another GSM pre-paid service, then I will switch to that service. The phone selection is way better because you can use whatever device you like. And the speeds are better i will have to admit.

Upvote 0
The only downside to the sg2 would be the price. But to be able to use a network in its fullest when it's completely unlimited paying 360 with out the hassle of flashing the phone is worth the price. If st our net 10 cut you off for your data usage after 2 or 3 GB. That's not the worth either if your cut off 1 or 2 weeks left from your cycle. The specs are not completely high end considering that right know there is no phone with more than two gigs if ram. The screen is good as any high end phone. The processor is dual not as high as newer phones but is dual which lots of people complain now a day. Internal memory is pretty good to, at 16 that's more that I'll ever use.

Upvote 0
The only downside to the sg2 would be the price. But to be able to use a network in its fullest when it's completely unlimited paying 360 with out the hassle of flashing the phone is worth the price. If st our net 10 cut you off for your data usage after 2 or 3 GB. That's not the worth either if your cut off 1 or 2 weeks left from your cycle. The specs are not completely high end considering that right know there is no phone with more than two gigs if ram. The screen is good as any high end phone. The processor is dual not as high as newer phones but is dual which lots of people complain now a day. Internal memory is pretty good to, at 16 that's more that I'll ever use.
There's a number of ways around being throttled on ST. You'd be amazed just how many GNex owners over at XDA are on ST.
In my history as a prepaid customer I've never gone over 2-4gb per month. What the hell are you guys doing lol? I turn my data off when I don't need it. But when I do I'm streaming Pandora, on Youtube, etc. so I use it often.

16gb is all I will ever need anyway for internal memory. I don't need to store the internet on my phone for offline use lol :)

As for screens, the curved glass display on the Nexus screams elegance and beauty. It's wow factor won't get old. The only other phone I've played with that has that "wow" would be the Note. That's because of the size of the screen not the sheer beauty of the screen.

Upvote 0
Yeah I for sure know that GSM androids are WAY WAY better on battery life. My girlfriend's Android on AT&T gets better battery life than my CDMA Boost Marquee. I would consider switching to Straight Talk's any phone program. But like I said, i'm just concerned I would get capped @ 2GB's, be throttled etc. I've been a loyal Sprint/Virgin/Boost customer for years. As soon as i can get a guarantee I'll get truly unlimited data on Straight Talk or another GSM pre-paid service, then I will switch to that service. The phone selection is way better because you can use whatever device you like. And the speeds are better i will have to admit.
You really have nothing to lose by trying something different man. I could post links to every thread on XDA dealing with your concerns but I'm sure if you're curious enough you'll do as I did and do some research of your own. I've done plenty and am just sharing some things I've found.
In my personal opinion you have nothing to lose by trying an unlocked phone on ST.
I too have been a loyal Sprint/Boost/Virgin customer for many years but now with high end phones available for prepaid it doesnt make sense to put an amazing device on a network that can't give me the most from said device.

It's gone from an era where we were just getting screwed a little because of the abysmal data speeds. But now it's even worse. Phones like the S2 and the GNex are capable of close to 21mbs down!! Phones capable of that kind of data speed shouldn't for the good of humanity be put on Sprints network.

Upvote 0

Edit : Just thought about something if you were really serious about getting rid of sprint prepaid you could just flash your phone to verizon prepaid 50 dollars a month unlimited everything.

Yeah I know we're off topic haha. But Verizon has data tiering also. The $50/month is just minutes, text and mms. You have to add $30/month for like 4 gigs of data I believe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones