• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Budget Build

Build process began today. We started with a test build first.

However, when the motherboard is short circuited, there is no input into the monitor and we noticed that the fans on the CPU/GPU/PSU spin for the bit, stop and then spin for a bit more.

We tried the paperclip test with nothing else plugged in and the psu fan works fine.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Upvote 0
We did finally manage to complete the build a while ago (I could've sworn I made a post here) but thanks to everyone that helped.

One thing I didnt pay too much attention to was the fact that my cousin touched the top of the cpu before putting the heatsink on. I said this could have a bad effect, and he should try to clean the grease off.

Whilst doing that, it's quite possible that he could've wiped off some of the thermal paste - am I right in thinking this is possible/bad?

I've asked him to try monitoring temps, but I'm unsure of the likelihood that he actually will -_-

But would it be ok if the temps are ok? Or should he clean and add some more ?

Upvote 0
would it be ok if the temps are ok?

Yup. The thermal compound is only there to ensure a good interface between the CPU transfer plate and the cooler. Clamping the cooler down on its mountings should spread the paste thinly and fill in any imperfections.

should he clean and add some more ?

Not unless the CPU temps go outside recommended parameters. Putting too much on is worse than too little, as it starts acting as an insulator. A thin layer, just enough to almost obscure any printing on the transfer plate, is all that's needed. The force of the cooler's clamps will do the rest.

Upvote 0
So around 30 at idle and 50-60 under load (like gaming)?

That seems fine to me; what is the max temp recommended by the CPU manufacturer?

Would a prime95 test be necessary?

It's overkill merely to check CPU temp imo. An hour or two gaming is probably as accurate, and more fun. :)

is creating the 100mb system partition on windows 7 necessary?

See here for an explanation of why it's created, and how to avoid/remove it (if desired).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones