• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New budget friendly school/gaming laptop

aconrad86

Jun 1, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
So I'm going back to school and need a new laptop $700 is about all i can afford to spend. Is there anywhere i can get a great laptop, that can handle WoW without having to kill the video settings with all my addons, and still be able to get everything on it I need to go to school for Information Systems Security??? If you could include links or anything else that would be awesome!! I'm not scared of having a laptop built and I'm sure if I set down to do it could probably put one together myself if that is the best option. Thanks for the help!!

Most newer laptops, particularly those running the latest Core iX CPus and with dedicated graphics, will have no problem running WoW.

A few can be had for prices that low - for example:

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptops / Notebooks,$500 - $750 (The pricing option was from $500 to $750, so some may be a bit out of the price range, but most should be in there).

BTW, nice to meet a neighbor - just south of Warner Robins (Warner Vegas aka Wonderful Robins) here.

Upvote 0
You and me both. I am 39....

At least I have the wherewithal *and* wisdom to go back and finish what I started 22 years ago...

Also, another thing - I use the Fx browser, and I have a couple of 'pricewatch' extensions (add-ons) that compare prices of products that I look at in real time with other websites.

The first is from http://www.priceadvance.com/ and the second is from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14392/ - and in addition, I also have an add-on from http://www.retailmenot.com/

Plus, I search pricewatch.com as well as Google Shopping, eBay and Amazon too, for the same exact product and find the cheapest I can find it, including shipping.

Upvote 0
Good thing is that I am in a Masters program, and the average age is closer to 30 than 21 - so it is not as much of a culture shock.

But I just finished my undergrad in Computer Science (and am finishing a second Bachelor's in Mathematics while doing this masters) so I still see some of the 'kids' I made friends with in the last 2 years....

When getting your laptop be sure to do a lot of research, particularly at places like NewEgg and review sites like Tom's Hardware Guide and Anadtech - there may be inherent problems that don't show up right away with a choice that you make.

Other than that, happy hunting!

Upvote 0
thanks im saving a 16" asus i found on newegg but im checking out comp usa now. ya i had a little to much fun my first go around in college so im starting with a fresh slate lol

Newegg.com - Recertified: ASUS G Series G51VX-RX05 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I have one of these. It's a gaming monster but with the battery saving profiles you can squeeze almost 3 hours of light work out of it too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones