• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New bug i found with 2.2 and its really aggravating.

Existence

Jun 9, 2010
Well my phone has be charging for more than 10 hours on and off and it still has not charged over 50% battery. Something is really wrong. Anyone else have this problem?

Update......

I did factory reset and downloaded the battery indicator app and it is now charging. started at 23% now after on charger for a few minutes its up to 26%. Soo ill update again after 100% and see how long it can last. I could go all day with out having to charge it with 2.1

Are you using the HTC charger that came with the phone? Mine got down to "red" last night and I hooked it up to a Blackberry charger (700mA). Kept getting errors that the current wasn't enough to handle charging my pimp-ass phone.

Looks like Froyo has a better power management engine built in. Use the 1A charger. You'll be back in business in no time.

Upvote 0
how is this even a "bug"???

for all we know, the battery charger could be bad, or the battery is bad, or the electric bill wasnt paid...

i think it was really a bug, many many users will see this issue...

i have had 0 issues with Froyo

Why can't it be a bug? A bug doesn't always happen to everyone.

If their charging situation before the update was different, then it's fair to surmise that the update caused the problem. It could possibly be a 3rd party app that is causing the issue, the only way to find out is to do a full reset or start deleting apps.

Reactions: Drewray
Upvote 0
how is this even a "bug"???

for all we know, the battery charger could be bad, or the battery is bad, or the electric bill wasnt paid...

i think it was really a bug, many many users will see this issue...

i have had 0 issues with Froyo

Same here. Not a single issue. The problem is, people start looking for problems or misplace the blame for issues they have. It is perfectly feasible to think that the timing of your charging issue along with updating to Froyo is nothing more than coincidental.

And pay your electricity bill.

Upvote 0
Well my phone has be charging for more than 10 hours on and off and it still has not charged over 50% battery. Something is really wrong. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you using Microsoft Exchange? I had the same thing happen awhile back and noticed that my calendar was continually synching/erroring and draining battery. Had to delete and reinstall email account.

Upvote 0
I powered my phone off over night and had it charging. Red light and everything. Go to turn it on and look at system panel and it now shows battery is at 27% to the 43% i turned it off. Even under history it showed it charging (green bar) and just kept going down. I think its a bug cause it was charging just fine before the update.

MS exchange? I just have the usb plugged into comp and that's all. I used the wall charger over night with the phone powered off.

Upvote 0
For example... my brother and i got the HK wall chargers that charges battery and the phone, his freezes my EVO.....the moment i unplug it, it works fine.. yet i also got the same kit and doesnt happen on MY charger...
and this is caused by hardware and not the phone's software

Upvote 0
This is a known issue for many with the 2.2 update. And it's been reported as fixable in all cases I've tracked except for one.

It's has a few potential causes:

• Something in the system cache is tangled up and spin-locking the cpu - it won't sleep and it won't charge right
  • Related to the point above, but instead of putting the cpu out of its mind, it's in an endless syncing loop
  • Related to above an app or apps have lost their mind

If you want to start out slow and go step by step, try some of this advice:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/137941-official-hows-your-battery-life-after-froyo-2.html#post1276272

Basically, however, to keep yourself from chasing multiple issues, here's the sure fire cure - I've taken it myself and it works on just about every update problem with 2.2 - and I highly recommend it:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/140632-so-heres-my-problems-2-2-help-fix.html

Others reading this - even if you don't have a charging problem - if you're having odd problems and nags whatsoever - see the above link.

It's work, but it's 100% worth it.

If that doesn't work - and try it first - then your only recourse is to re-install each app and see which one is rogue and should be discarded.

I recommend fully avoiding all task managers and cleaners with 2.2 - it's memory management is now aggressive and very effective and the task killing protocols have changed - the Applications setting has more task-killing options now, it's all you'll need.

Reactions: teky and eieio
Upvote 0
So basically all you had to say was do a factory reset? Ive done all the little tips that everyone has done except the factory reset. Just took me so long to get the phone set up to my likings.

Doesn't work even with Factory reset. It's doing the same for me now. I'm having the same problem as OP, battery taking hours to charge. There's actually a thread started a while back.

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...ke-when-charging-through-usb.html#post1292563

Upvote 0
So basically all you had to say was do a factory reset? Ive done all the little tips that everyone has done except the factory reset. Just took me so long to get the phone set up to my likings.

Per the other thread - 5 bucks, if affordable, for a good backup app, is worth its weight in gold.

There will be future updates, there will be future entanglements, and besides - you could lose your phone or something.

A good backup protects at times like these.

Sorry - but that's all I advice.

As I said in the other thread - sux that it's not free.

We can always blame Sprint. We pay the freight to keep their crap on our phones, the least they could do is to help us keep our crap on our phones.

Just kidding about blaming Sprint.

Backups are a pain in the butt.

When's the last time you didn't backup your desk/laptop and then lived to regret it?

Same thing here.

Upvote 0
Doesn't work even with Factory reset. It's doing the same for me now. I'm having the same problem as OP, battery taking hours to charge. There's actually a thread started a while back.

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...ke-when-charging-through-usb.html#post1292563

And yours is the one case that I've tracked that this didn't fix the issue for.

It certainly did for others.

BTW - did you look for that compatibility thing I mentioned?

And also - the last advice we had was to either reload each app until the culprit was found - or to wait for the .3 to .6 update because HTC/Sprint said some apps weren't playing well with the pre-release.

And on that note:

This guys is running the release, you're running the prerelease.

I get that you're frustrated with your problem, but please don't discourage people from trying fixes that have helped many others.

Upvote 0

I felt the same way. But if you invest in Mybackup Pro (5 bucks) youll NEVER have to worry about that again.

I had LauncherPro Plus and saved a back up of my layout and the back up using the Mybackup pro and i didnt have to do to much to get it back to my liking.

After factory reset use the market to re-download Mybackup Pro, then do a recovery of all apps/ settings.

For LP i just went into the preferences and restored from back up. In 10 minutes i was back up and running like i didnt even do a factory reset.

I noticed better battery life as well as no Flash 10.1 issues.

The money on LP and MyBackUp are well worth it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
And yours is the one case that I've tracked that this didn't fix the issue for.

It certainly did for others.

BTW - did you look for that compatibility thing I mentioned?

And also - the last advice we had was to either reload each app until the culprit was found - or to wait for the .3 to .6 update because HTC/Sprint said some apps weren't playing well with the pre-release.

And on that note:

This guys is running the release, you're running the prerelease.

I get that you're frustrated with your problem, but please don't discourage people from trying fixes that have helped many others.

Yep I looked for it, I replied back in the big post I made where you originally asked me. For your last advice, I did a hard reset, so I'm as bare as I can be...:D. As for the .3 to .6, I'm just waiting it out and will not post anymore of my problems. The ones I posted were included in both .3 and .6. Also I wasn't discouraging people from fixes. OP was describing a problem I had, and also the link I pasted was the same thing. Just was showing him.

Upvote 0
Yep I looked for it, I replied back in the big post I made where you originally asked me. For your last advice, I did a hard reset, so I'm as bare as I can be...:D. As for the .3 to .6, I'm just waiting it out and will not post anymore of my problems. The ones I posted were included in both .3 and .6. Also I wasn't discouraging people from fixes. OP was describing a problem I had, and also the link I pasted was the same thing. Just was showing him.

Ok, my bad, sorry for jumping ya.

My nerves are gettin' shot from trying to find the problems and the issues while trying to help, within the unneeded arguments and catcalling going on - so I totally apologize, you didn't have it coming.

Man - you're at the bare pre-release and still having the problem???

:(

WTF,O??

Upvote 0
Anything on the SD card wont get deleted after a hard reset right? Also a hard reset is just returning the phone to factory settings and wiping out all 3rd party apps?

Exactly correct.

And one more thing I totally forgot about with both of you guys.

<forehead slap>

We haven't had a reported case of this in a while, but I also just remembered:

A screwed up file on the SD card can tangle things up. The big yet subtle case is where the stock music app launches, or ringtone management starts (prolly related) and then a bad file handle or a trashed directory (folder) pointer on the SD card sends things into endless thrashing.

Solution:

• Backup everything from your SD card to your PC
  • Reformat your SD card
  • Others swear to use the FAT32 formatter on a PC instead of the phone formatter - OK, I dunno, so I won't argue, just passing on the advice.
  • Run the phone
  • If the problem's gone, you have to move your media files back one at a time until you find the culprit

Geez - totally forgot this one.

Sure hope this helps.

It seems there was one more weird case a month ago... ok, it'll take a while, but my reply to it is somewhere in my 1300+ posts - I should be able to track it down. Whatever it was, somebuddy found something none of us were even thinking of...

Upvote 0
Ok, my bad, sorry for jumping ya.

My nerves are gettin' shot from trying to find the problems and the issues while trying to help, within the unneeded arguments going on - so I totally apologize.

Man - you're at the bare pre-release and still having the problem???

:(

WTF,O??

It's cool. But yea man, I don't know what it is. My MAIN gripe right now is the deal with USB charging. I don't even care about the others right now. But I know the culprit for the Awake/Up times now, and that's the USB charging. Not sleeping and not charging to its full potential like 2.1. If I unplug the Evo and turn the screen off, the awake time stays. Just not when plugged in USB. I just put it on AC charge, i'll see how that goes.

EDIT: Well after some 20 minutes on AC charger, Awake time stays the same. So no issue with Awake/Up when plugged into AC. The only thing I wasn't able to test was how fast it charges, since my battery is full already. Just gotta fix the issue with USB PC charging.

Upvote 0
It's cool. But yea man, I don't know what it is. My MAIN gripe right now is the deal with USB charging. I don't even care about the others right now. But I know the culprit for the Awake/Up times now, and that's the USB charging. Not sleeping and not charging to its full potential like 2.1. If I unplug the Evo and turn the screen off, the awake time stays. Just not when plugged in USB. I just put it on AC charge, i'll see how that goes.

Just curious - do you have your screen always on while charging - I do, and that doesn't cause a problem.

Man - I gotta track down that thing besides the SD reformat... there was one other solved case....

Meanwhile, you might as well try the SD card do-over - you've done everything else! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones