• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New "Bugless" 2.01+2.1 apps ROM...

Though I haven't done it myself ... there are two ways to approach this.

1 - You could install v4 without having it restore the data. In other words, when it gives you the restore options, make sure there isn't an asterisk next to "data".

2 - You could also just do a backup of your current data using the nandroid backup/restore console. Then after installing v4, restore your data from v3.

Either way, first create a complete nandroid backup of v3 with everything. That way you can revert back if something doesn't work quite right.

in a previous post someone said that there are downsides to doing it this way. like i may lose some of the things to the creator put in the data file... is that going to be an issue if i restore my previous data?

Upvote 0
in a previous post someone said that there are downsides to doing it this way. like i may lose some of the things to the creator put in the data file... is that going to be an issue if i restore my previous data?

I could be, because I know he is swapping out some apps for others. Your question might be best served over on alldroid.org. :eek:

Upvote 0
Just installed this to replace a 2.1 ROM I had been using. I liked the 2.1 eye candy, but the ROM was slow and buggy. Too bad I don't remember which one it was...

Waiting for sync to finish, hoping it recovers all of my settings like I've had happen in the past.

I didn't think you could keep the data from 2.1 and install it into 2.0.1. I'm curious to see if it works. I think I tried that once and it just sat there at the bootanimation screen for about two minutes before I pulled the battery,

Upvote 0
2 - You could also just do a backup of your current data using the nandroid backup/restore console. Then after installing v4, restore your data from v3.

Pete just told me that this is a very viable installation method. The changes from v3 to v4 are primarily to /system, and the changes to /data are trivial.

Pete said:
The changes in Version 0.4 were made mostly to /system the only difference I made to /data was removing Facebook and Visual Voicemal so you should be fine in doing this

So I'm trying this out, and hopefully, it should be all good!

Upvote 0
I switched from a 2.1 ROM to a different 2.1 ROM - of course I don't remember which ones I tried. I should take notes.

Anyhow, what happened was after a few minutes of running the new ROM, my apps all re-downloaded, and my settings (background image, haptic feedback preferences, etc) all restored.

This is all tied to my google account.

So, fast forward to today. I restored Bugless 0.4 to my phone, and booted it up. I didn't do a factory reset right away, even though my instincts told me to do that. Instead, I linked my google account using the Accounts tab in settings.

None of my settings came back like I hoped.

Eventually, I decided that I wanted to do factory reset, so I did that. I've just finished going through the setup process now, and I'm hoping that now my stuff will restore. However, I fear that I might have killed my chances by linking the account before doing the factory reset.

I'll post back in a while to confirm.

Upvote 0
TrevorSky,

You should NOT do a factory reset with the bugless ROM, as many of the apps you'll most likely use are moved to the /data partition. That means when you factory reset (wipes DATA: and CACHE: ), you've also deleted all those apps!

EDIT:

As a follow-up to what I posted earlier, you can install v4 and just restore your v3 data. Seems to be working just fine for me, except now I have to run Album Art Grabber again and fill some of these blanks...

It preserved all my apps and settings though, so no complaints!

EDIT EDIT:

And I had to run AdFree again to patch the hosts file. Looks like that didn't get preserved.

Upvote 0
You should NOT do a factory reset with the bugless ROM, as many of the apps you'll most likely use are moved to the /data partition. That means when you factory reset (wipes DATA: and CACHE: ), you've also deleted all those apps!

Whoops! If I'd bothered to think about it, I would have realized that... :)

The good news is, my apps all restored from the Market using this technique, which did not happen without the reset. I think it's something about the new phone setup wizard that differs from using the Add Account wizard in the Settings. I can restore the .apk/.odex files from the Bugless backup using adb, so I should be good to go.

So, here's what I noticed:

- Haptic feedback setting is back to what I was using on 2.1
- Apps from the market re-downloaded (27 of them)
- Background picture DID NOT restore

I don't know if my Wi-Fi network config restored itself or not, because my normal access point is offline. (That room is being painted, and everything's turned off and stuffed in the closet.)

Upvote 0
Yeah...though I looked into the update.zip file and it only appears to include the /system files, so I don't think it would work.

I'm going to bite the bullet and install the full .4 nandroid to ensure I get the full benefit of any improvements it has to offer...

I can use mybackup pro to save some of the things I want to save, and if apps don't reload from market automatically I have backups of them all.

I hope this ROM is worth it - Birdman V4 has been really good to me, so this one is going to need to have some good mojo to replace it in my heart. :)

Upvote 0
I only have BDS-20100119-0608 in nandroid folder, I have tried both simple restore and advanced too. same error

Just to be sure we understand each other when I unzip the rar I get a folder called BDS-20100119-0608 and inside that folder is another folder called BDS-20100119-0608 and inside that are the image files, hence double BDS folders. Make sure you have extracted the downloaded rar, that you dont have double folders and that you have the BDS folder placed inside the nandroid folder. Then follow Petes step by step instuctions including wiping before installation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones