• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New "Bugless" 2.01+2.1 apps ROM...

so can someone compare .7 to the birdmans v4 rom for me? I wanna figure out which one to go to like once and for all cause im getting fed up with constant changing, if birdmans is similar but without easy uninstall i might do that one cause I kinda dont like all my stock apps in /data

I've only used .4 and .5 of Bugless, as well as Birdman v.4, and I found them to be very similar...I think Birdman app tray is smoother, other functions felt close enough that I wouldn't be able to tell which one I was running...YMMV of course, but that's how they felt to me.

One caveat...It's been a while since I first flashed Birdman's ROM, so I'm not sure what's in the ROM, and what I've added since then...I've been restoring my nandroid of Birdman's ROM, and it contains whatever changes I've made (but not documented!)...i.e., I don't remember. :)

Grandmaster - do you have a list of what Birdman included in terms of 2.1 apps in V4 out of the box?

It does not come w/any overclocking, tether, brightness stuff, etc.

Upvote 0
I could care less if the official 2.1 ever comes out.

This guys roms are great.

Unfortunately, "great" is a relative term. Don't get me wrong, I'm using .4 and am going to update to .8 tonight. But who knows what the official 2.1 will run like. I'm guessing that it's gonna FLY! I hope I'm not wrong. Time's a great story-teller.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, "great" is a relative term. Don't get me wrong, I'm using .4 and am going to update to .8 tonight. But who knows what the official 2.1 will run like. I'm guessing that it's gonna FLY! I hope I'm not wrong. Time's a great story-teller.
I hope you are right. I haven't been very impressed with any of the cooked 2.1 roms out there.

I'm sure as soon as 2.1 drops, someone will add all the cool stuff from n1 and milestone in a custom rom. I love the multitouch gallery and photo editor.

Either way. "Bugless" is the only rom that I have kept on my phone longer than 6 hours, and that's is because of it's stability.

Upvote 0
Either way. "Bugless" is the only rom that I have kept on my phone longer than 6 hours, and that's is because of it's stability.

My favorite (before Bugless) was humancyborg's 2.1. Then there was a Sholes ROM that was OK. But this .4 is the only ROM that runs this Sweeter Home theme of mine with stability.

I d/l'ed .8 ... that's my Saturday night project now that my Sweeter Home theme is done.

Upvote 0
It's a sickness...I need counseling or something. Sean Connery was right...never say never again.

So I loaded v.8 via update.zip late last night when my wife wasn't looking :))) - the option to load w/out any data loss and simplifications he implemented in the ROM sucked me back in.

It is VERY stable and performance is VERY good.

I think v8 is the ROM that will cause me to leave Birdman v4 behind, finally. Bugless V8 looks like the fastest ROM I've used to date. Orientation switches and app loading are very quick, the 2.1 keyboard voice input is the bomb. I added email and 2.1 Gallery back in as I need imap email, and like the 2.1 Gallery. (Still playing w/the included Milestone Gallery, but initially didn't like it as much.)

Anyone waiting on the fences...this is one you should definitely try.

The update.zip option makes this painless to test drive. Do a nandroid backup of your current setup, run the update.zip install for v8 and see if you like it w/out having to reconfigure anything, other than adding email back in (copy a couple of files via ADB) if you need it for IMAP email.

Definitely a keeper for me. I'll still be trying other ROMs for fun, but this will be my day-to-day ROM going forward.

Joe - how'd it go for you?

Upvote 0
I am getting an error 21 when trying to load this ROM =(

I think this is because you have the backup folder too deeply nested. Did you unzip the file into a folder? Because the backup is actually in THAT folder.

Also, it's good practice to adb shell when in recovery and run the following before a backup:

format DATA:
format CACHE:
format SYSTEM:

Upvote 0
I think this is because you have the backup folder too deeply nested. Did you unzip the file into a folder? Because the backup is actually in THAT folder.

Also, it's good practice to adb shell when in recovery and run the following before a backup:

format DATA:
format CACHE:
format SYSTEM:

VtotheZ

One comment on Fabulous' good advice - if you're using the update.zip, don't format data unless you want to have to set up all your programs/settings again...the key feature of an update.zip ROM is that you get to keep your programs, settings, and data.

If you're doing a nandroid restore, then formatting data is fine, since it'll get blown away anyway.

Upvote 0
Joe,

The first time you run AdFree, it'll give you a Java exception error, but just try a couple more times and it should update the hosts file just fine.

Yea, I already know about the app's quirks. But this is different. It seems like the hosts file can't be replaced/overwirtten. :thinking: I can't even force a new hosts file via ADB, Terminal, or Root Explorer. Weird!

I just got home, so I'm going to give it another shot right now. I hope I have better luck than before.

Upvote 0
Yea, I already know about the app's quirks. But this is different. It seems like the hosts file can't be replaced/overwirtten. :thinking: I can't even force a new hosts file via ADB, Terminal, or Root Explorer. Weird!

I just got home, so I'm going to give it another shot right now. I hope I have better luck than before.

I've noticed something about this rom, I think...I was unable to copy a file to the system directory, until I made some room. Could it be that the lack of rom is also blocking the adfree program?

Upvote 0

format DATA:
format CACHE:
format SYSTEM:

what back up folder????????? BTW this is my first ROM install.. Just so you know I am rolling on a rooted droid, 2.0.1, SPrecovery 991b (because I cant seem to friggen get 992b to work) and I have a nandroid back up..

I have tried 2 versions of this bugless rom and both say "ERROR:Nandroid exited with status 21"

I have no clue what to do, how do we trouble shoot this? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones