• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New build.

Spec-Kie

Jan 17, 2013
North East UK.
Alright guys,

Need a little bit of help. in the next couple of weeks/months i am going to be building a new machine up, Thing is i am no means a PC gamer, I use my machine for every thing else basically apart from gaming lol, Thing is im kind of stuck on what mobo and cpu to get, Mate have told me to go AMD as they are a tadd cheaper and other people on here (what i have read) sway in the direction of intel, Thing is i have aroun 120-150 to spend on RAM, MOBO, and CPU+cooling. i have looked on ebay and found a AMD quad core bulldozer with mobo and cooling and 8gb of ram for

Alright guys,

Need a little bit of help. in the next couple of weeks/months i am going to be building a new machine up, Thing is i am no means a PC gamer, I use my machine for every thing else basically apart from gaming lol, Thing is im kind of stuck on what mobo and cpu to get, Mate have told me to go AMD as they are a tadd cheaper and other people on here (what i have read) sway in the direction of intel, Thing is i have aroun 120-150 to spend on RAM, MOBO, and CPU+cooling. i have looked on ebay and found a AMD quad core bulldozer with mobo and cooling and 8gb of ram for

Upvote 0
Yeah thats sounds good. Well i have desided to go with the asrock N68-VS3 FX with a AMD FX4000 3.60ghz quad core. 8gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM. 1TB Seagate barracuda (sata 7200rpm), with a Corsair 600W Builder Series CX Series CX 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply ( would this be ok?), and then i havnt desiced on my case yets and i just plan to put in a blue ray burner, all this sound ok?

Upvote 0
Yeah thats sounds good. Well i have desided to go with the asrock N68-VS3 FX with a AMD FX4000 3.60ghz quad core. 8gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM. 1TB Seagate barracuda (sata 7200rpm), with a Corsair 600W Builder Series CX Series CX 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply ( would this be ok?), and then i havnt desiced on my case yets and i just plan to put in a blue ray burner, all this sound ok?

Do you really need a BD-R though? BR would be sufficient if all you plan to do is watch them.

BR Drive: LiteOn IHOS104 4x BD-ROM SATA Blu-Ray Drive - OEM Black | Ebuyer.com

As for the PSU, I would go with one of their different models. My personal favorite is the HX series since it's fully modular.

PSU: Corsair 650W HX 80PLUS Gold Modular PSU | Ebuyer.com

Reactions: Spec-Kie
Upvote 0
nah i want a burner lol, Cause my brother is at univercity doing photography and media and he some times asked me render and burn his projects and he some time requires it in HD, apart from having a look around for different PSU but does the rest of it sound ok? as i am not really used to using AMD, like is the prcessor any good ? and is it best suited with that board?

Upvote 0
NYC is giving the good advice as always but I will just point out one thing:

600W is more than enough for a build without a graphics card. but it will give you room to expand in the future should you upgrade.

IMO you could *probably* get away with a 350-400W PSU, maybe 500W to be safe.
Antec is another option for PSUs -- I have both Corsair and antec and both are decent.

Upvote 0
AMD works just fine! My friend recently did a build and he went with an 8 core amd that was at half the cost of my intel i7, and he scores better windows user ratings then me for processor haha.

He got that for around 150, and my i7 was $312 USD.

Since AMD owns ati now, they do some pretty decent integrated graphics especially for non-gamers, so you could do a bundle that way and spend less not having to find a video card.

For the most part CPUs come with a decent cooling system stock, where you don't need to spend extra money on a fancy one. But there are CPUs that don't come with one at all, so be sure to read and make sure you know what comes with it.

Something you could do if you don't have the budget for everything you want now, is just buy the necessities (processor, mobo, processor, hdd, psu, ram) and build it then when you get more money add to it as you see fit. I bought "one" piece at a time and it took me about 7 months to finish it. It didn't hurt the bank as much as just buying it all at once haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones