• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New contacts created on Droid disappear?! Just me?

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
I've had this happen three or four times now...two types of occurrences:

1. Edit an existing contact...when I select "Done" the screen says "Saving" and then returns to the contact list - and the contact I edited is gone.

2. Create a new contact - enter name, address, phone, select Done, "Saving" message appears, return to contact list, and the contact is not in the list.

Looked under all variants of the name (first, last, etc.) and it's just not there.

I'm creating the contacts on my primary account.

I'm on 2.01, no rooting, using the built-in contact manager.

Has anyone else seen this? Extremely frustrating...

Check to make sure it's not merging with another contact. This feature is a bit glitchy.

The only time I've had data just 'disappear' I realized I was putting in contacts w/o phone's & had the option set to only display contacts with #'s.

Also, check your gmail account from the web (full version, not the mobile) and see if you can find it.

Upvote 0
Thanks - yeah, I thought about the merging issue, but the contacts were businesses, included phone numbers, and I'm sure I entered the correct number (verified before saving) so the chances it dupes one already in my contact list is nil.

The contacts don't show up online either...

Any other ideas/suggestions appreciated.

It happened twice in a row just now, so it's not like it's infrequent...

Upvote 0
Not "dumb" at all, as many of us have been bitten by that one.

You can get to the same needed screen, either by tapping PHONE, then the CONTACTS tab; or, just tap the CONTACTS icon.

Once within that Contacts-focused screen, hit the menu key. Then, choose DISPLAY OPTIONS. You will see your gmail account address, preceded with a round silver arrow pointing to the right. Tapping that gmail addy opens a drop-down list, reflecting your groups. You'll likely see that MY CONTACTS is pre-selected. Just tap the group you want. You may need to scroll, as ALL OTHER CONTACTS is listed last.

Tip: if you want to use ALL contacts, and your list is long-ish, you may want to try freebie StarContact. Makes it much easier to get to your desired contact, via a few taps per searching. OR, go into the website for Google Contacts:
.............. gmail >>> Contacts (on left), or
.............. http://www.google.com/contacts
where you can rework your group assignments, including your favorites (Starred). Will save you some taps long-term.

It worked for me

Upvote 0
I guess my issue is some of my contacts are not visible (have disappeared) in the contact list, although they are still in the phone if I search for them. I'm not sure what's causing this glitch, but it is annoying.

I tried the method Hothead posted above and it's no joy. I'm wondering if this is a side effect of some App.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by iPhone2Droid
Not "dumb" at all, as many of us have been bitten by that one.

You can get to the same needed screen, either by tapping PHONE, then the CONTACTS tab; or, just tap the CONTACTS icon.

Once within that Contacts-focused screen, hit the menu key. Then, choose DISPLAY OPTIONS. You will see your gmail account address, preceded with a round silver arrow pointing to the right. Tapping that gmail addy opens a drop-down list, reflecting your groups. You'll likely see that MY CONTACTS is pre-selected. Just tap the group you want. You may need to scroll, as ALL OTHER CONTACTS is listed last.

Tip: if you want to use ALL contacts, and your list is long-ish, you may want to try freebie StarContact. Makes it much easier to get to your desired contact, via a few taps per searching. OR, go into the website for Google Contacts:
.............. gmail >>> Contacts (on left), or
.............. http://www.google.com/contacts
where you can rework your group assignments, including your favorites (Starred). Will save you some taps long-term.

It worked for me

Same, I'm not sure why, but any contact that wasn't a facebook contact or a google contact wouldn't show, but I went through this and now I have them all... Thanks so much!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones