1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New contacts wont go to phone! ...very confused :(

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by zac_haryy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. zac_haryy

zac_haryy Lurker

I have had my HTC Desire for about 8 months and have been noticing that when I try to add a new contact to my contacts that it creates a "google contact". Well I dont want it to create a "google contact" I want it to create the contact and store it in the phone book along with all the other contact I transferred to this phone. Reasons:

-I like to make a backup of my contacts and store it on my computer incase if I mess up the phone then I have a good backup on my computer which I can transfer to practically any new phone (android or not android) (I know that it syncs with google but I find this rather annoying when it takes everybody from my gmail account that I have ever emailed and trys to make one huge a** phonebook) If I want a contact in my phone book I will add it manually cause I like cleanlyness.

-When I try and search for a contact by typing in a few letters it shows up if its in the actual normal contacts on the phone. If I try to type in a new contact and search for it then it only finds it when I click "search all contacts"

I have searched everywhere to find out how I can make it so this doesnt add the contacts to the "google contact" list but cant find anything at all about it or how to change a contact from the google contacts into my normal contacts.

Please help me! Thanks!

-haryy

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Inside your phonebook, go to Menu>More>Settings>Save Contacts To>Select "Phone"

3. zac_haryy

zac_haryy Lurker

When I go into my phonebook and hit menu I have these options:
    Search, New Contact, Display Options, Accounts, Import/Export

Those are the only options available for me to click.

This is android version 2.3.4 and I actually have the Oxygen ROM on here but I imagine there has still got to be a way to save contacts to my phone phonebook!

Please help me with this, its very frustrating :(

Thanks!

-haryy

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Hmm, the menu i posted is probably a touchwiz thing. Have you checked if the default phonebook on your ROM supports phone memory saving? If not, just save it to Google for backup, then under display options, select to display only people with phone numbers, then it wont show people who you emailed but dont have phone numbers.

As for the phone trying to get everybody I emailed into one phonebook, I havent experienced this happen. I've emailed a number of individuals who dont show up in my Google Contacts.

5. zac_haryy

zac_haryy Lurker

I guess the weird thing is that when I add a new contact it gets added to the google contacts and it does sync with google but if I try and search for a contact i have to type the name and then click "view all contacts" because the new contact added doesn't show up. I have it checked to display only people with phone numbers but it will only show them if I click that "view all contacts button". It just gets frustrating when searching for a contact and I have to click that button every time I want to view that contact :(

-haryy

6. spile

spile Android Enthusiast

I can recommend MyPhoneExplorer to get contacts to (and from) your phone. Plus a lot of other things...

7. zac_haryy

zac_haryy Lurker

Any other suggestions? I am still having this issue and it is very frustrating. Mainly because I have two separate phone books and I would like to keep it all in one like practically all phones are capable of doing, except mine it seems.

Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions would be awesome!

Thanks,
    haryy

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Try using a different phone book app. Since I last replied to you, I switched to Go Contacts and every time I enter a new contact it asks me I want to save it to phone or Google. Also it may have to do with the ROM you are using.

Anyway, you could always use a new Gmail account to sync your accounts to so that it will only contain your phone contacts. As for restoring contacts, You can restore Google contacts to almost any phone. You can even restore Google contacts to a Nokia Java phone if you wanted.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hi

For backing up your contacts IMHO gmail/google is the best way as it stores them instantly to the cloud which you can access from any device (laptop, old phone, new phone) belonging to anyone via your gmail account. It also links into the NAV app for you if you add addresses etc. You can choose to "view" only those with numbers for dialing purposes though to avoid having to see lists of emails etc in your "contacts" view.

In "People" choose Menu>View and choose which list you want to pull your contacts from e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Phone, SIM etc. Any duplicates after this will be linked by the app and you will be offered the list of potential links to confirm to minimise duplicate listings.

In People you also have the option to "import/export" and if you click on that you can import from the SIM etc.

Adding contacts is also done via People (and you will be offered to add them to your google account or phone). Searching is also easy via People as the contacts are listed alphabetically (to scroll down) and there is a search function in the menu aswell. If you load the "People" app link to your homescreen then it's easy to access.

I use Go Contacts now as I prefer the user interface; it works much the same way as above. I just prefer the "look" of it and also it has an alphabetical scroller on the side so that I can just touch "m" and it will take me to all contacts beginning with M.

When I first got my DHD I found HTC Help Center very helpful.

Apologies if teaching how to suck eggs :eek:

Also have you found the DHD specific forum yet? HTC Desire HD - Android Forums