1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Cricket killed web

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by txheart0711, Oct 20, 2014.

1. txheart0711

txheart0711 Newbie

Hi all,
    I bought a Samsung S3 from Verizon and switched over to Cricket about a year and a half later. I took the phone to a hole in the wall place and they flashed the phone over to Cricket. I found out today that they didn't need to do that (dangit!).
    From the day it was flashed I lost mms, and basically came to the conclusion that them's the breaks. Moved to another state, let the phone get turned off until I found a job. Went to the Cricket store & they said that I had to switch over to the "new" Cricket, cuz the old one wouldn't work in another month. Okay, I switched.
    Since I switched over I haven't had data. The guy at the Cricket store did his thing and tried, but then told me that since I hadn't updated my phone in forever, that it wouldn't support their system, that I should take the phone into Best Buy & they would update it for free.
    I went to Best Buy today and they did, in fact, update it for free. However, my web still doesn't work. She tried resetting it to factory, she tried doing whatever they do with it hooked up to her computer, nothing worked.
    There is one "hint" of the problem. In my notifications WAS a message that says my sim card (that I JUST got from Cricket) is not supported. However, since her work at Best Buy, I apparently no longer have a sim card. The notification says "No sim card" Please insert sim card. It's in there, it's seated. I've pulled it out and inserted it back in 3 times, it's not taking.
    I should have come to y'all first, because now I have absolutely no idea what to do. Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Isn't Cricket an MVNO operating on AT&T's GSM/HSDPA network, and Verizon is a CDMA/EVDO carrier? So if you got a phone that was originally supplied by a CDMA/EVDO carrier and trying to use it on a GSM/HSDPA network, could have problems.

jaymzway likes this.
  3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I'm not surprised you're having multiple issues as your phone has been through a lot of changeovers, at least one I would have thought you would have been advised not to bother with. As mikedt already referred to, your phone was switched from a CDMA service to a GSM service. That's a practice where most people will just get a different phone.
    Cricket was bought up by AT&T just last year so that was part of your saga. Actually, Cricket is a subsidiary of Leap Wireless (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM) absorbed Leap into its Borg world. Since the indie MVNOs are becoming more and more popular, the big four telecoms are seeing the shift in their market share numbers. Competition is a bad word in big business now so instead of offering better or cheaper services, the corporate mono-culture trend for big companies to buy up little ones continues to increase.

jaymzway, nawrokrz and mikedt like this.
  4. jaymzway

jaymzway Android Enthusiast

just on the note I'am too backing mikedt & svim up on this and others that had mentioned about cricket being bought

poster take notice to the new cricket ad's lately it says all new cricket with now improved that im guessing is about when this change that they both are explaining

very well put mikedt & svim

5. txheart0711

txheart0711 Newbie

Well poo! In the years since I bought my first smart phone I've been here multiple times and thought y'all could fix anything. I didnt realize there were 2 different systems, much less that I had a phone that works on one but not the other. Not quite what I wanted to hear, but very glad you cleared it up for me. Thank you for your replies, and for all of your help in the past!
    ~Ky

6. jaymzway

jaymzway Android Enthusiast

:)I find this post solved & closed due to the explained following reason's ?

not saying that your phone is useless as for I'am sure you could find a carrier that could hook your phone for service

:)but falling on the same note here what your more less asking from us is to put an elevator in an outhouse ?>here next put a jet engine in a daihatsu for the facts the hardware is just not there to make it happen the provided information that was presented to you on free! basis let's just be thankful on the note that others and myself included as done to the best of OUR KNOWLEDGE to help with your needs to the best that we could and that was most accurate that it is.. When in fact secondary preferable way is through the blessed knowledge of google search upon your own researching would provide you heaps of information nation wide.

real only fix in my opinion would be is switch carriers But keeping this in mind As I have found to be true in most case's that I may be opinionated over this one here this could be the beging and new creative way of carriers forcing consumers to buy new phones.. this may or may not be a fail to ya so good luck to ya and thank you for your time invested in your post's
    ;)Just remember downing mod's and dev's and other members will only result in 1 thing so please let's try to be fair here...
    SOMETHINGS JUST CAN"T HAPPEN Im sorry.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews