• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New dev, anyone?

xaelith

Android Enthusiast
May 19, 2012
Utah
Hey all. I'm wanting to get my hands dirty and get into development for the ultra. I'd like to help the handful or so of dedicated devs we have here at the forums, and lighten their load for them. I've also been keeping rough tabs on CM7, and would like to see it for this phone, and help there any way I can.

However, I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to Android, and it's been a few years since I've looked at any code. I've worked with C++ before, and have a Java book to help me learn that if need be. I also know the Android SDK is a must. What are some other resources you folks would recommend to help me get up to speed?

I understand I may be like a child who's just learned to ride a bike asking someone to teach them how to drive a motorcycle, but I've given this a lot of thought, and would genuinely like to contribute to the community in some way.

Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.

Sorry for the late reply. Work frowns upon browsing the forums while on-the-job. :eek:

Thanks for the reply, mavrik. Ultimately, I'd like to help with CM7 or perhaps even make my own ROM. If there's anything I can do right now, I'm willing to help, but I'm not really sure where to start, and am unsure if my current skill set is enough to contribute in the manner I'm wanting to.

Upvote 0
first place to start would be to start reading the Prevail all things root threads. everything you need to know about boost/sprint specific systems are there. that is a great place to start particularly Hroark13's threads.

maybe you might wanna start light like just doing some mods on stock ROM and working your way up. prior computer exp is a must!! lol.

now if you want to jump right to compiling cyanogen then this is a good place to start. note that every device is different and some things(very few) will not be the same on the TU
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...ut-building-cyanogenmod-7-prevail-source.html

Checkout other custom ROMs and read the changelogs for those roms. if you want to know what one of those things are then you can just google it and you will notice there are several guides on that subject explaining what it is and how to do it. Usually on XDA < the leading developer forums. If you know programming/ coding then you know research is the key.. lots, and lots, and lots of reading

you're gonna have to forget about c++ cuz android is all linux.

Upvote 0
Thanks, mavrik. I'll definitely look into that list this weekend. I'm particularly interested in Cyanogen because I've heard good things about it. I'm a fairly quick learner, so hopefully soon, there will be one more mind to share the burden in this small but dedicated community. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks, mavrik. I'll definitely look into that list this weekend. I'm particularly interested in Cyanogen because I've heard good things about it. I'm a fairly quick learner, so hopefully soon, there will be one more mind to share the burden in this small but dedicated community. ;)
This is always a good place to start:
CyanogenMod Wiki

to setup a build environment in a linux wubi:
[HOW-TO] Set up the Android SDK and Compile CyanogenMod - xda-developers

After you have a build enviroment:
How to build CyanogenMod from source! | adamwhiles dot com

and then

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Epic_4G:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)
you would just use interdpth"s source instead of the epic source

Reactions: xaelith
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones