1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New developer, looking for some pointers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ex0r, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Okay, so i've been wanting to get into android rom development, and I think I am finally going to start, but I had some questions.

Although I am familiar with programming and using source code, I am not familiar with the android platform, more specifically for phone specifics. I have the Optimus M and I am interested in developing custom ROMS and ports for it, and would like to get a couple pointers or resources to talk about where to get started so that I can get stuff going and working for my phone.

I'm looking at starting with some stuff that's already out and modifying it to start with, than eventually would like to get into my own complete development, much like cyanogenmod.

Does anyone have some resources or pointers that would help point me in the right direction to getting started?

Advertisement

2. Misleadb4

Misleadb4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Ft. Myers, Fl
    Im by no means a dev, im just into bringing products to our phone. So you might want to include your pc setup, meaning what kinda computer, os, if your dual booted, etc etc. That might help whom ever is interested in you a starting point. More info you give the better

3. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Yeah, good idea.

I am currently running windows 7 x64, but I have several linux distros running in virtual machine on the system that I use for development.

(One of them being ubuntu 10.10)

It's a dual-core amd laptop with 4 gigs of ram.

4. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 24, 2011
    Search github.org for ms690 and thunderc.. To get the proprietary files and kernel etc.. You van also download kernel source from lg open source.. then sync with either cyanogen or aosp for Android source. If you want to start with porting just grab the Android kitchen from XDA and a few roms. Android is written in c c++ and java for the most part. And Ubuntu 10.04 x64 is best

5. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    sweet, i'll grab both of those. Is there a tool made specifically for grabbing and compiling all that stuff and merging it together?

(Aside from using GIT to grab it all, I mean is there like a tool like visual studio that you can use to grab all the stuff and sync it all together, or do you just have to grab it all off git and do it yourself)

6. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    start by going to source.android.com or cyanogenmod.coms wiki and follow instructions for setting up the build environment, depending on whether or not you want stock android or cyanogen, then once you ahve everything synced up you will need the device files for the phone, which can be found on reppards, bobzhome, blarf, playfulgods githubs, you will need to make a device folder int he android source for the device files, you will also need to setup a vendor folder for it as well.. then try to build and see how many errors you need to fix to get it to finish lol. if you want gingerbread make sure that when you repo init the manifest you follow the command with -b gingerbread, otherwise you will pull the latest version

7. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    1st pointer, dont rely on gui's ;), git has a gui that can be used but it just makes it even more confusing esp when just learning it.

I edit my configs etc with the gui editors in kubuntu 11.10, but like stated 10.4 will be the easiest to set up, 11.04 tops. Everything over that and you will have to track down n edit the version #'s on most guides to get all the dependant files needed to build android.

to just mod already built roms, you need android kitchen or learn how to do it all manually. You will need to learn edify scripting as the kitchen seems to want to use MTD for everything and most devices are moving to emmc now.

8. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Im looking to eventually do ics so maybe its easier just pulling that

9. AndroidHogs

AndroidHogs Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Tuckerman, AR
    Ics is going to be pretty hard as its not fully functional

10. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Yeah thats fine. I'm used to doing alot of work on wips. I'm gonna pull 2 sources one for ice and one for gingerbread and work on both to get used to them.

11. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    i dont believe you have to pull 2 sources.. if you just get the entire android manifest.. it will pull all source and you can then build anything... i believe.. howver this will require a good amount of disk space

12. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010

That's not a problem at all, i've got over 3tb of disc space :) Thanks for all the information, now I can get to work.

13. p-bOt

p-bOt Android Expert
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    looking forward to seeing your work :)

14. reppard

reppard Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    iCE CREam

The best tip I can give you is that if you are serious about developing Android roms you need to have a native Linux installation. I would never recommend building an entire os in a VM. You might get away with compiling a kernel like that but with the machine specs you gave a VM is going to take forever.

mikekelso421 likes this.
  15. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    +1 a dedicated install or a dualboot is a must IMO.

I can compile CM7 in 20 -30 minutes, and thus far CM9 in about 30 - 45min. in a VM it will almost dbl those times if not more, all depending on which cmd you use to compile with too. I use brunch as per the CM7 compiling guide.

16. ex0r

ex0r Member
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    That's not the system I am going to be using to compile with, it's a system that I have setup specifically for virtual machines. It's able to have all four cores dedicated to it, and as much as up to 75% of the 16gigs of ram in it dedicated to the vm.

Tags: