• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps New Developer

I've recently been there and yeah, it's a common question.

What kind of background do you have? If you are familiar with programming and Java, you can most likely just jump in and start to get to grips with the Android framework. Else, just first get to grips with a little bit of OOP and Java basics.

Start reading through this and the dev section in general
What is Android? | Android Developers

Then start working through the tutorials to see things in action:
Technical Resources | Android Developers

And then, I'd say. Think of a simple app you can write and use that as a base for learning. You'll quickly start searching specifics etc

And just because I'm not a total altruist: My Friend Android: "Funny, cause it's true" and some useful links. <-- a handful of links to sites I frequently use.

Upvote 0
Thats brilliant, thanks. I do not have any previous knowledge of Java.

I have been using a tutorial video on YouTube at the mo, learning the basic things such as how to make buttons, text etc. I am starting to get used to the layout of Eclipse.

What sort of things did everyone else make when they first started?

Upvote 0
Well, I reckon you should maybe invest in a Java book. I bought the Headfirst one which is great. But if you are a programmer, you should be able to figure it out. It just speeds things up.

Build some of the tutorials on the site and then think of something usefull you'd like to see in the app store. Or just something you could use. Other than that, there's a section on these forums for app ideas.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones