1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General "New Device Software Downloaded"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by maplewood, Jan 11, 2014.

1. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    When I connect my rooted, MJ7 Verizon i545 to the PC it downloads some unspecified "new device software."

I assume that I want nothing to do with whatever VZW is pushing but it can't hurt to ask.

Advertisement

2. allanlaw

allanlaw Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, California
    Normal when connecting a USB device.

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I agree...normal to see that message in the pc (not on the phone)

4. maplewood

None

Jul 26, 2010
    yes, of course it is normal. Perhaps I should have been more precise in my question: Should I let the phone install this update? I suspect it will unroot. (Not that rerooting is such a huge problem).

5. allanlaw

allanlaw Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, California
    OK, now you have me totally confused. We have assumed that the message appeared on the computer - YES? NO? The two answers above assume YES. If the message was on your phone, then I have NO idea what it means.

Cheers.

6. electricpete

None

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I'm assuming the message was on pc because I was not corrected.

So again, if you're seeing an installing software message on your pc, that's normal (as you yourself said), not sure why the message would cause you concern.

Let's forget about the message and talk about your followup post: Could a phone spontaneously update just because you connect to pc? Not unless you yourself set up and launch a script on pc for that purpose. Or maybe if you have Kies and you have set up to install updates (I don't know anything about Kies...never used it). Certainly your carrier doesn't have the means or the authority to access your pc without your participation/permission for purposes of updating your phone.

7. maplewood

None

Jul 26, 2010
    this is starting to sound like "who's on first" but l'l try again.

When the phone is connected to the PC the PC displays a message that "New phone software is available, would you like to install it? Yes/No." The inference being that the software would install on the phone if you choose "yes."

I'm inclined not to accept that offer. My question is what is in that new software and will it unroot the phone (my guess is that it will).

8. electricpete

None

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Tell me about it, Lou!

There are some messages that appear when you connect that are normal. A driver can be installed from phone onto pc upon connection to help pc communicate with phone, and it gives a message about "installing". But the message that you finally spelled out in your third post is not normal for any of my phones. We still don’t know if you have Kies installed on your PC.

USB debugging status (ON or OFF) could be important here. It enables access for pc to make changes to your phone (look at the message that pops up on your phone when you turn USB debugging ON for a description of what it does). You are certainly much safer (maybe completely safe) against pc making changes to your phone when USB debugging is OFF. You can turn it back on temporarily when you have to use programs that require USB debugging on (like like Titanium Backup and Gemini Apps manager)

If you yourself haven't installed onto your PC a program that can update your phone (like Kies) and you have USB debugging disabled on your phone, I would be 100% confident that the pc cannot update your phone. (And I'd still be curious wtf is going on).

If I had to guess the source of that prompt, I'd say it is Kies. If you have Kies installed and accept a carrier software update offered through Kies (or OTA for that matter), I think you do run a risk of losing root and in any case should definitely inestigate before you accept. That's probably the purpose of your post... I can't help you there, not on Verizon. If you don't want to update, you might be safe by answering "no" every time, but that's a pain and leaves open the possibility of error. I would think about reconfiguring or uninstalling Kies. I haven't heard anything good about Kies on the forums. You don't need it to transfer data between your pc and phone. You may have installed it for the drivers for rooting...you can get those same drivers separate from Kies if you ever needed them again for further flashing from your pc to phone. With Kies uninstalled, my guess is that those messages would go away.

Bud