• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New device, touchscreen software problems?

abelia

Sep 18, 2010
Hi,

I just bought a Motorola Milestone XT720, and the touchscreen is almost completely unusable. I used to have Palm devices and computers with touchscreens, and they all worked (they needed calibration), so I never expected that.

When I get asked for the SIM card PIN (unlock SIM card), it seems to work (with the fingernail), but afterwards, it switches to a very restrictive and unusable mode.

(1) Touching it in a precise spot with the fingernail is ignored.
(2) Touching it with the finger works (as a click). So pressing a keyboard button or selecting a function works, as long as the buttons are big, which happens to be the case.
(3) There is no way to scroll in a useful way. It seems, according to documentation, that I have to move the finger up or down. That does indeed scroll, but it also randomly does or does not send clicks to any button that is passed (usually it seems to send at least one click to the first button). As the buttons fill the screen completely, it is not possible to scroll without hitting random buttons and selecting functions.

According to the manual, I can scroll by touching and moving the scrollbar like in other devices. That is theoretically very hard due to bug (1), but it also empirically just doesn't work. Either nothing happens, or it scrolls reverse and sends out clicks.

Is there a way to fix the software, any setup option, or is it a hardware problem?

I have seen that there is no FAQ, so it affects just my device, and must be a hardware problem. But when unlocking the SIM card, the touchscreen seems to work better, so it must be a software problem?

Can anyone hit the touchscreen with a fingernail, does it work? Is there an app to calibrate it?

Hi,

I just bought a Motorola Milestone XT720, and the touchscreen is almost completely unusable. I used to have Palm devices and computers with touchscreens, and they all worked (they needed calibration), so I never expected that.

When I get asked for the SIM card PIN (unlock SIM card), it seems to work (with the fingernail), but afterwards, it switches to a very restrictive and unusable mode.

(1) Touching it in a precise spot with the fingernail is ignored.
(2) Touching it with the finger works (as a click). So pressing a keyboard button or selecting a function works, as long as the buttons are big, which happens to be the case.
(3) There is no way to scroll in a useful way. It seems, according to documentation, that I have to move the finger up or down. That does indeed scroll, but it also randomly does or does not send clicks to any button that is passed (usually it seems to send at least one click to the first button). As the buttons fill the screen completely, it is not possible to scroll without hitting random buttons and selecting functions.

According to the manual, I can scroll by touching and moving the scrollbar like in other devices. That is theoretically very hard due to bug (1), but it also empirically just doesn't work. Either nothing happens, or it scrolls reverse and sends out clicks.

Is there a way to fix the software, any setup option, or is it a hardware problem?

I have seen that there is no FAQ, so it affects just my device, and must be a hardware problem. But when unlocking the SIM card, the touchscreen seems to work better, so it must be a software problem?

Can anyone hit the touchscreen with a fingernail, does it work? Is there an app to calibrate it?

Answer to questions 1 and 2: Capacitive touchscreen are not meant to be used with fingernails hence why many girls had problems with the iphone. They operate off heat, not touch which is why your fingernail will not work.

Reactions: abelia
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones