• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New DG2. Have questions.

CXXV

Android Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2010
Just picked up a DG2. Not new to Android (came from rooted ERIS). Searched but haven't really found satisfactory answers.

1 - Browser/Market very slow:thinking:
2 - Data ICON says 1X instead of 3G (1X was old VZW)
3 - Email and Text widgets don't show number of new items
4 - Want to add toggle for Mobile Network/Data but can't find it anywhere
5 - Can't find option for threaded SMS display. (Hate the bubbles)
6 - Only want to use calendar in phone. However, that option is not available. Previous
Androids did.
7 - Where can I download the HTC Clock/Weather widget. I like that one best.

7 - Is it worth rooting the DG2. What are the benefits?

Thanks in advance.

1 and 2 obviously having something to do with each other. Try *228. If that dosent work, contact Verizon. Did you have 3g in your area on your last phone?

3 - I know this can be done if you use something like launcher pro. Not sure if the stock launcher can do it.

4 - I would recommended using an app like Juice Defender to help manage mobile data. I don't remember ever seeing a toggle for just mobile data without an app.

5 - You would need to install a different SMS app or root and use a ROM that uses the original Android SMS app.

6 - not sure...never tried to do this

7 - You can search around for Fancy Widget (I think thats what it was called) It was pulled from the market but probably still exists somewhere. I use Beautiful widgets personally. It is a pay app, but there are hundreds of different clock skins and other widgets thrown in.

8 - Go read some stuff here: Droid 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums
It really depends on what you want to do with your phone.

Upvote 0
Just picked up a DG2. Not new to Android (came from rooted ERIS). Searched but haven't really found satisfactory answers.

1 - Browser/Market very slow:thinking:
2 - Data ICON says 1X instead of 3G (1X was old VZW)
3 - Email and Text widgets don't show number of new items
4 - Want to add toggle for Mobile Network/Data but can't find it anywhere
5 - Can't find option for threaded SMS display. (Hate the bubbles)
6 - Only want to use calendar in phone. However, that option is not available. Previous
Androids did.
7 - Where can I download the HTC Clock/Weather widget. I like that one best.

7 - Is it worth rooting the DG2. What are the benefits?

Thanks in advance.

As was stated 1 & 2 have a cause and effect relationship. WRT Market: Try appbrain (appbrain.com or you can get it in the market) It's a browser replacement that lets you search the market on your computer and click apps to install. Then you just click sync on your phone, and it downloads/installs the apps you have chosen. I find it quite useful.

I also use launcherpro to show the number of gmail/text/calls I have

4. I use quicksettings, which is an app for one click toggle of APN/WiFi/BT as well as having brightness control and a flashlight, and a few other options that I have disabled. I'm sure there's a one click APN only app out there, if you search hard enough.

5. I haven't used the stock messaging app more than 2 or 3 times, so I can't help, I'm sorry.

6. I couldn't find that option, so I froze the service completely. I've been looking for a good app that does this.

7. I found it useful. I use SetCPU to throttle my CPU when my screen is off or battery is low (I can get 2-3 days of light - moderate usage, but I also have an extended battery). I use Titanium Backup to freeze all the bloatware that comes with motoblur (This improved my battery life and performance drastically). I use Autokiller to keep my RAM free. Standard task killers are actually a bad idea in FroYo, Autokiller is different because it doesn't kill anything, it just tells the stock process in FroYo to kill things SOONER, based on the settings you provide. I know it doesn't take any extra power to hold things in RAM, but keeping my free RAM around 200MB keeps my phone snappy. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. I suggest you read up on Z4Root.. it's not available in the market anymore, but is widely distributed on the internet; There's a very good thread on xda developers about it. It's a one click process. I've done it 3 times, and it's done it first try, every time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones