1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New Dinc - why root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by notaguru, May 5, 2011.

1. notaguru

notaguru Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    This never-used SLCD Dinc just replaced my rooted GSB Eris, and I'll never look back. But while the Eris screamed ROOT ME! the Dinc seems to be sufficient out of the box. It's stable, superfast, and relatively junk-free.

Except for a couple of root-dependent apps designed to overcome hardware deficiencies (like SetCPU, wireless tether), everything from the Eris is now on the Dinc, and running better than ever. And I now have new apps that are quite nice. The grass over here IS greener!

Except for the satisfaction of the "hobby" - why root? (I'm not a troll - it's an honest question)

Advertisement

2. hancock87

hancock87 Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Well, first, answer this question: Why not?

3. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA

+1...seriously.

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Hey, no need to root if you don't feel like it. But when the initial thrill of having a new device wears off, remember that you can recapture the feeling for free. :D Or if that bloatware gets annoying, or you want to make real backups, or you want to tether wirelessly...

5. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    I think that you two have it backwards. You modify something to gain functionality, or as a hobby. He's stated that he doesn't want do to it just for the sake of doing it, so that rules out hobby.

My rule of thumb has always been to ask myself what I can't do on my phone now that I want to be able to do. If I find something, I then ask if rooting will solve that. If the answer is yes, I root.

euph_22 likes this.
  6. notaguru

None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    BINGO! With the Eris, I needed more functionality and speed, and less garbage, so root was mandatory.

But the further I get into this Dinc, the more comfortable I become. Rooting to solve Eris problems was satisfying, but now?

Since no one has invoked some compelling demon, there might not be one.

Thanks!

PS: Anyone need a tweaked Eris that's stable at 787MHz? That's seven eight seven. Really!

7. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    There are many reasons to root, just need to find which, if any, apply to you.

1. Wireless tethering - you can do this without root.
    2. Market Enabler (get around carrier restrictions) - You can do this on some phones without root (Thunderbolt) via airplane mode and wifi at the same time, but not on others (Incredible).
    3. SetCPU - I prefer custom kernels, but that's more advanced than just rooting. So, this is a good reason to root, IMO.
    4. Emulators - Yes, you can run them without root, but only with 2 points of contact. Good luck playing an action game. Some kernels allow 5-10 points of contact, which makes combos much easier.
    5. Removing bloatware - No explanation needed.

I'm tired, so those are a few off the top of my head. If you like the phone the way it is, just run unrevoked to root it, then install the custom ROM I'm running. It's in the Incredible Roms forum (see sig for ROM name).

8. hancock87

hancock87 Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    I think you should do what fits your needs the best. If it would be beneficial to you to root, then do it. If It's not, then wait a while. I think it's almost better to wait for the initial spark of getting a new phone to wear off, then to root. It make rooting just that much more amazing :D

9. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    If the phone works for you. Don't root yet. Just my 2 cents especially since you seem to understand root.

For me it was about battery life. I rooted and get similar battery but do a ton more with my phone.

10. notaguru

None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    Dinc was one of the best phone decisions I've made, and I've been tethered to a cellphone since 1987.

Stock Dinc + LauncherProPlus + WidgetLocker and it does everything I need. Of course the more familiar I become with it, the greener that grass over there will look...

11. Crooke356

Crooke356 Newbie
    None

May 6, 2011
    I felt just like you. I went from the Eris to the Dinc. The upgrade was so extreme, I had no thoughts on a root. But I eventually got bored. My breaks at work are spent playing with my phone and when I ran out of things to do, I rooted. Like most have already said, keep it stock while it keeps you content and when you get bored (if you do) root. Then bam! You have a new phone, for free! At least thats how it felt to me.

12. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    I just bought a used Dinc coming from two eris's clocking 787 also.:eek::D It had been so lond since I was on a stock rom I had to root it right away and got me back some CM7 love.;):D

13. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    The only reason I rooted my Dinc is for the ShootMe app because I take a lot of screenshots for tutorials or forum questions, and got tired of having to plug into my desktop/laptop. Well that, and Ad Free. Beyond those two apps, my Dinc is stock.

[edit]whups, completely forgot that I have Bloat Freezer and CacheCleaner too.

14. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    If you can find no other reason to root, I'd say full system backups and app + data backups (Titanium) rank high in my list. If things go south, it sure is nice to be back in the game with a few screen touches.