• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New DIVX player (and it works smoothly)

NYC Coyote

Apr 7, 2010
New York
I don't know if anyone else has seen the XDA Forums (and I'm not quite sure about the forum rules about posting the link)....

There is a new DIVX/MKV player out there called RockPlayerBase (if you search I'm sure you can find it)

It is a closed beta. And as of right now DOES NOT see the internal memory at all. Only the sdcard. It watermarks the fps in the upper right hand corner.

But beyond that, I have tried it and it works beautifully.

edit: just noticed that if you click on the DIVX icon twice while its playing it will get rid of the FPS watermark

I don't know if anyone else has seen the XDA Forums (and I'm not quite sure about the forum rules about posting the link)....

There is a new DIVX/MKV player out there called RockPlayerBase (if you search I'm sure you can find it)

It is a closed beta. And as of right now DOES NOT see the internal memory at all. Only the sdcard. It watermarks the fps in the upper right hand corner.

But beyond that, I have tried it and it works beautifully.

edit: just noticed that if you click on the DIVX icon twice while its playing it will get rid of the FPS watermark

Gonna check it out. Will report back. I've been looking for a good DiVX player. Nothing like showing Equilibrium off on a media device (if you haven't seen it, you need to, it's the reason Christian Bale got to play Batman).

Upvote 0
YOU ARE A G-D!

Well... I just reported it....didn't write the app.

And I for one will be supporting the developer by purchasing it as soon as it's possible. This is one of those truly useful apps which deserve my money. And hopefully he continues development to allow playing from the internal memory and also setting up a home directory for where the movies are located.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Upvote 0
Well... I just reported it....didn't write the app.

And I for one will be supporting the developer by purchasing it as soon as it's possible. This is one of those truly useful apps which deserve my money. And hopefully he continues development to allow playing from the internal memory and also setting up a home directory for where the movies are located.

I meant for posting it, you are g-d. :p I tried an .mkv AND .mov files. Don't work. But still, great app

Upvote 0
How do you get it if its closed beta? If it plays mkv w/o any converting, I'm very interested.
See my previous posts. I've tried 4 different .mkv files. None work right. I mean, I see video and it does play but at 4 fps which means it's not made for .mkv but I SURE an upgrade can be worked out....

I for one have been using the stock player for mkv without any problems (download a high quality Buzz Out Loud podcast and try for yourself).

Any problems people are having I would guess have either to do with resolution issues or bitrate issues.

Stock player plays .mkv?

Upvote 0
:p
I have a program that converts .mkv to .mp4 to play on my xbox and I just tried it with this and it didn't work. I guess the only files that can play are .avi and .wmv. I just need to find a .mkv converter now....

haven't tried it, more of a comment on your converter. most .mkv's converted to .mp4 are basically the same thing even after converting. you can actually change the file extension of a .mkv to .mp4 and it plays fine

maybe it cant play one or the other...or both

Upvote 0
:p

haven't tried it, more of a comment on your converter. most .mkv's converted to .mp4 are basically the same thing even after converting. you can actually change the file extension of a .mkv to .mp4 and it plays fine

maybe it cant play one or the other...or both
I'm converting an .mkv to .avi right now through a real player. Next, I'll try .mkv to .mp4 wiith a converter that processes and does the whole nine yards. Other programs was just one that does a quicky switcharoo

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, when you refer to an .avi or .mkv you are referring to the container and not the video type. For instance an .avi can contain divx or xvid video and can contain mp3 or aac audio. On top of that, the bitrate can be wildly different.

If someone says that a media player can't play mkv's or avi's because they tried only one particular file, take it with a grain of salt.

Anyways, can't wait to try this player out!

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, when you refer to an .avi or .mkv you are referring to the container and not the video type. For instance an .avi can contain divx or xvid video and can contain mp3 or aac audio. On top of that, the bitrate can be wildly different.

If someone says that a media player can't play mkv's or avi's because they tried only one particular file, take it with a grain of salt.

Anyways, can't wait to try this player out!

What's interesting is that the Android default app actually supports the playback of xvid, just not in the AVI container. I've converted plenty of AVIs into MP4s by taking the video track straight-up (not transcoded) and transcoding the MP3 audio into AAC and had them work perfectly on my Droid and now my Droid Incredible.

So the support for the individual pieces of what's usually contained in an AVI file is already all there: divx decoding and MP3 decoding. Probably explains why everyone is reporting that the playback is working so well in this app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones