• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid Maxx User

heebs79

Jun 21, 2011
Sorry my original post went MIA. Anyway, just got a Droid Maxx off eBay. My Note 3 (Verizon) had a bad signal so I needed to jump ship. I am on call part of the time at my work and weak signal areas were a nightmare. The Motorola radios continue to be awesome and I get a signal where my Note 3 could only dream of. Got 5+ hours of screen time with heavy use yesterday. Not tinkering as much and have 80% at 3pm today. Hopefully Motorola sticks with excellent radios and large batteries under Lenovo. The only thing I want would be a packet which has been rumored.

A few questions, how has your battery held up for those of you who have had it since release? Latest I heard is that an unlocked bootloader for stock Kitkat is only possible for 2014 models? I have never rooted but want wifi Hotspot and Foxfi has not come up with solution for 4.4 which my phone came with. I miss my Note 3 screen and the S pen for notes, etc. BUT I'm loving nearly stock Android, great battery life, and the overall snappiness. Very happy so far! Hope this phone does not get left behind anytime soon as far as updates and development. Thanks!

Read down a little further you will see that there is a link from your earlier message into the all things root sub-forum. Click on the title to access that thread to discuss your root-related questions.

For your un-root-ed question ...

I have measured the battery charge time three times letting the battery fully discharge. The results were three days, just under three days, and just over three days. This was on an un-root-ed Maxx.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I noticed a bit of a shorter battery life since I got KK without an FDR. Not enough to complain about considering how much I use the phone for everything. Charger at work, home and car if I need it. If there's a zombie apocalypse I'll have a at least 24 hours of battery life to call everyone I need to call while I shoot zombies. Enuff for me!

Upvote 0
I am typically good for over 6 hours of screen on time a day... if I push it that far. That's with brightness set at ~78% fixed. That's just staggering considering I was less than 2 hours on my GNex with the "larger" Verizon battery.

I'm still looking for the phone to out-perform the Maxx. Epic battery life. Always listening tech that actually understands me. Perfect fluidity of the OS. In me eyes, there isn't one. Looking forward to adding the Moto 360 to my Maxx.

Reactions: jfriend33 and Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones