• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid User

kent747

Mar 14, 2010
I should be receiving a Droid in the next couple of days (this after my 4th replacement Eris). I know 2.2 is coming, but I have a few questions about 2.1. Other than the Eris having sense, how different is 2.1 on the Droid versus the Eris?

Also, those of you using 2.2, how great is it?

My son got an Eris and every time we compare phones he gets angry. He could have picked the Droid - I encouraged him to do so - but you know kids. Never listen to their parents. So now he's stuck with pretty much an obsolete phone while mine is infinitely customizable.

Android 2.2 is great. Flash is great too!

hahah this is true. how do you overclock the phone. and is it safe

Upvote 0
Overclock requires rooting and a custom kernel. Very safe, as long as your processor can handle the speed. There has been a lot of discussion on overclocking and processor life span, but it's generally agreed that even the most aggressive overclocking will be fine for the expected life of the device. Some phones accept different kernels differently, so try a few to see which one works best for YOUR Droid. Rooting can be a nail-biting experience but OH SO WORTH it!

Reactions: deekum1627
Upvote 0
Also, those of you using 2.2, how great is it?
Great enough to be worth rooting IMO.

My son got an Eris and every time we compare phones he gets angry. He could have picked the Droid - I encouraged him to do so - but you know kids. Never listen to their parents. So now he's stuck with pretty much an obsolete phone while mine is infinitely customizable.
Even if he didn't listen he could have at least done some research. Some quick web browsing would quickly indicate that the Eris's hardware alone should rule it out if one wanted a top-of-the-line Android device.

Upvote 0
hahah this is true. how do you overclock the phone. and is it safe
Okay...here's the info on overclocking....lol
Grab a comfy chair, clear your schedule for a few, and head to this link
http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-related-currently-under-construction.html
Read, and re-read...all the info you could possibly want it there. If you can't find it...post in the all-things-root forum and the geniuses there WILL know the answer. These guys have been great!
Next step, enjoy 2.2, flash, and all the customizations you can handle :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones