1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Droid X owner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cougar214, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Hi everyone. i'm a new owner of the Droid X. I have had the phone for about a week now and I'm trying to figure out how to use everything in it. The little book they give you with the phone is no help at all.

I am looking for ways to save on battery life. I know there are postings on it here but I have literally just signed up for this site and don't even know how to navigate the forums yet. I will look around but if someone could post links to the postings I need it would be great.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Luciferrex

Luciferrex Newbie

First: Welcome to the world of Droid X ownership.

Yeah, this phone has a steep learning curve. Just keep on learning. As for saving power, make sure you stay away from live wallpaper, and try dimming your screen. I really don't have any other great options for you, but plenty of people here will.

3. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

Also do not leave wifi on. Just tuen it on when you want to use it. If it is on it will continue to search for a hotspot and that's a big drain on the battery. After you more comfortable you will want to root and get rid of some of the bloatware (apps that are installed by Verizon and you cannot delete without rooting). These things will greatly increase battery life.

4. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Bankswood, I'm already ahead of you on that one. I have already rooted the phone and got rid of that "crapware". It was pretty easy to do. Just had to make sure I followed the directions to the letter. I used the z4root with titanium backup to do it.

As for the WiFi, I keep mine on because I have wireless in my house. I was told by the sales person that sold me the phone that if I had wireless in my house I wouldn't be charged for data usage as it would use my wireless instead. He lied.

A friend of mine sent me a bunch of stuff via text messages and I got hit with data usage. But anyway, I tried a few of those task killers and none of them would turn off anything permanently untill I wanted to use it again. Everything on this phone turns on at will and I don't see you being about to do anything about it.

I hope this is something they addressed in the new Droid 2.3 OS. Speaking of which, will we be able to upgrade to this free of charge or?

5. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

If you are at home and your phone is locked into your router then you are good. It only really burns extra battery when both 3G is on and wifi is searching. It is my understanding that when wifi is on and locked to a hotpot 3G shuts off. As for text meesages they don't need or use 3G so I don't know why data usage showed up. Aren't you on unlimited data anyway?

Software updates are free.

6. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

No, I'm not on a plan, I hate contracts. I have a prepaid plan that gives me unlimited talk, text, and 50 megs of data. My WiFi and 3g is on and off at the same time. I don't get a very good signal in my house. that's why I use my WiFi most in the house. But sometimes I will see my WiFi on and the 3G symbol will show up too. Mostly I will get the 1X symbol.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews