• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid X Purchasers: Beware of the Pull Tab! (voids warranty?)

Trojita

Mar 30, 2010
When you receive your Droid X and are about to put the battery into the back you will see a tab telling you to pull it. You will not find it mentioned anywhere in the instructions and its presence is an oddity.

DO NOT PULL IT OUT!

It is supposed to help you get the battery out when you have it in. If you pull the whole thing like indicated the backing will completely rip out.

I actually did that and just now put it back in lol. Unless you throw it away you'll be fine.

seems like i'm the only idiot who actually pulled it off AND threw it away. i made a thread yesterday asking if there's any other way to get the battery out, i just had to pry it out. for anyone else that did this, someone said to put a doubled up piece of tape in to replace the tab and leave a bit of adhesive on the battery so you can pull it out. i did this and it works.

Upvote 0
seems like i'm the only idiot who actually pulled it off AND threw it away. i made a thread yesterday asking if there's any other way to get the battery out, i just had to pry it out. for anyone else that did this, someone said to put a doubled up piece of tape in to replace the tab and leave a bit of adhesive on the battery so you can pull it out. i did this and it works.

Maybe you can return it and claim the phone was missing the tab.

Upvote 0
How exactly did you pull the battery out without the tab? I kept it, because I don't throw away stuff immediately and lucky I didn't. If you could shoot me a PM/Thread I'd appreciate it.

I used the staple remover of a mini stapler. sort of like this (the little plastic part sticking out on the back) but it's metal.
MINI-STAPLER-21714.jpg

Upvote 0

I pulled it out. :( lol My phone is running fine though. When I first say that I was like "Pull it? Okay!... Hmm... this is kind of difficult... need just one big yank!"

You were not the only idiot!!! I did the same thing with TWO (my husbands and mine) Luckily I didn't throw them away so I pried the battery out and put those babies back in...When I say pry, I mean I pried! I felt totally stupid- but what I saw was pull do not cut. hahahaha!!! joke was on me!:p

LOL I almost pulled mine fully out. I started to pull it and was like hmmm.. this doesnt seem right, so I pushed it back down. I googled the question "should I pull tab on battery for Droid X" and it linked to a thread on this forum lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones