• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid X Purchasers: Beware of the Pull Tab! (voids warranty?)

My brother ripped the whole thing out too... poorly worded label imo... Luckly I found it in the trash.. And what the hell does it mean when it says "do not cut"

yeah the "do not cut" made me confirm my belief that I was supposed to pull it out. to me that was like, "ok, pull it, just don't cut it since you might mess up the phone with the scissors." haha.

Upvote 0
I pulled mine completely out, until I noticed that it was bare under that, and the barcode with the phone info was also on the sticker. I left it off for a bit, and thought, now how the hell do I get the battery out of there?? Needless to same I didn't throw it away. I just kept it sticky side up on the box and used a pocket knife to get the battery out. Just stuck it back down in there with no problem.

I was actually thinking about making a topic asking if you're really supposed to pull the whole thing out of there like that. hahaha.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had my wife charge it for me so it would be good to go when I got home...big mistake. I was on the phone with her and she's asking me how to put it in. I had no clue since I'd never seen the phone. Then she reads out loud, "Pull, do not cut." Next thing she asks is, "Do you need the SKU numbers and stuff?" Again, no idea what she really meant. I get home, play with it, and realize I need to pull the battery out. Lo and behold, no tab. Hmmmm, I wonder how...DOH! She removed it and stuck it to the inside of the box so now it's just "sitting" under my battery, but not stuck on since there was so much paper covering the glue. Next time, I'll just wait and do it myself :(

Upvote 0
People who have pulled the backing out of the phone have voided their warranty say Motorola and Verizon. This has to be one of the crappiest out-of-box experiences of my life.

My wife cried last night after an hour talking to a wall with Verizon. Our young son was in tears because everyone else in the house was so upset. At 6:45 this morning he woke up crying from a bad dream and said (I am not making this up): "I not like this phone!"

Really, the thing looks like the tab you have to pull out of new products shipped with a battery so they'll work - I've owned a few of them. Remote controls and other small electronics commonly have this kind of pull-tab. There's nothing stupid about pulling a tab marked "PULL".

I figure folks who've had the phone shipped to them will encounter this most often - folks who get the counter guy/girl to put the battery in won't see it until they need to pull the battery. The shipped phone arrives with the battery out and no mention of why you're supposed to pull the tab in any of the documentation. It looks like something you're supposed to do in order to put the battery in for the first time.

Really, how hard would it have been to print "PULL^ to remove battery" instead of "PULL^" "Do Not Cut"?

my picture of the self-destruct tab here: The #droidX self-destruct tab - story here: http://bit.ly/aC0... on Twitpic

Upvote 0
I was also so excited to receive my new phone in the mail on Friday!
I agree completely with jddj that the wording was not clear...the instructions should have mentioned to leave the piece in place and put the battery on TOP of the plastic.
There have been numerous items that required the "pull" tab to be removed to make them work.
I bet more people will be doing as the current instructions say...."pull":thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones