• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid X Purchasers: Beware of the Pull Tab! (voids warranty?)

Man, when something is marked pull, aren't you supposed to pull it? I pulled the thing right out thinking it was some sort of protection for the inerds while shipping. Threw it away, shoved the battery in and went on with my day (last Friday). Didn't realize what it was for until this afternoon. I've never had a phone shipped to me, I've always purchased my phones in store so they've always been put together for me.

Really? This voids the warranty?

I've had really bad battery life on top of this.

Upvote 0
No you will be fine. Its just to help get the battery out lol. I hope its not a secret self-destruct detonator!

Unfortunately for me you are wrong, it won't "be fine". I got confirmation in writing from Motorola and Verizon that removing/tearing the tab will void your warranty as it is considered "physical damage to the phone". It isn't very funny to me after that call/email.

Upvote 0
Man, when something is marked pull, aren't you supposed to pull it? I pulled the thing right out thinking it was some sort of protection for the inerds while shipping. Threw it away, shoved the battery in and went on with my day (last Friday). Didn't realize what it was for until this afternoon. I've never had a phone shipped to me, I've always purchased my phones in store so they've always been put together for me.

Really? This voids the warranty?

I've had really bad battery life on top of this.

I got confirmation in writing from Motorola and Verizon yesterday that removing/tearing the tab will void your warranty as it is considered "physical damage to the phone". It isn't very funny to me after those calls/email. And here I was just worried that I'd not be able to get the battery out.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for me you are wrong, it won't "be fine". I got confirmation in writing from Motorola and Verizon that removing/tearing the tab will void your warranty as it is considered "physical damage to the phone". It isn't very funny to me after that call/email.

Can you show us please? I spoke with a tech person at Verizon and he said that there isn't anything that says that.

Upvote 0
I got confirmation in writing from Motorola and Verizon yesterday that removing/tearing the tab will void your warranty as it is considered "physical damage to the phone". It isn't very funny to me after those calls/email. And here I was just worried that I'd not be able to get the battery out.

I'm a little confused. So you called them to inquire about the tab and they took your name/number and sent you a letter stating that your warranty was void?

would love to see what that letter actually says....

Upvote 0
I had to restart my X recently because it froze, and the only way to do so was via a battery pull. So I tried to pull the tab, but no matter how hard I pulled it just would not budge. So finally I yanked on it a bit too hard and nearly pulled out the entire plastic piece connected to the tab. Fortunately part of it is still connected to the phone, but man that battery was really stuck in there...

Upvote 0
I can't believe how long this thread has gone...

My boyfriend and I stared at it for like five minutes, and I tried pulling it... of course. But then he googled it as I tried to call Tech Support because I was assuming it was one of the pull tabs so it activates the battery connection.

But I bet it does void the warranty, BUT I bet it's some small tiny clause that nobody will ever find and Verizon CSRS/Techs would never notice or care about...?

IMO.

Upvote 0
So true. The people of walmart aren't usually the brightest bunch. I'm guessing VZW probably won't even be actively looking for it either.

Then to go completely off topic I just want to say I really like your new avatar Clittzen. :)

Aw thanks!

To be off topic too: My boyfriend and I were just talking about how much we liked your avatar. No joke.

Upvote 0
I lost my faith in humanity solely due to this thread...come on guys, we android users are supposed to be the smart ones :thinking:

I hope no iPhone users find this thread.

Haven't any of you had devices with a pull tab for the batteries? Remote controls, cameras, phones, etc?

actually no. i've only had devices with pull tabs where you are supposed to pull it out for the device to work. that's what it was thinking this was, or at least that it was just protecting the battery compartment. obviously i didn't look at it too hard since there is apparently a garbage can with an x through it, i just saw PULL and went at it lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones