• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid X Purchasers: Beware of the Pull Tab! (voids warranty?)

I lost my faith in humanity solely due to this thread...come on guys, we android users are supposed to be the smart ones :thinking:

I hope no iPhone users find this thread.

Haven't any of you had devices with a pull tab for the batteries? Remote controls, cameras, phones, etc?

Every pull tab I've ever seen, you pull it off. Just bought a new receiver, it had a dozen little protective pieces of plastic in which when it's marked pull, you pull it off. Even the screen protector I put on directly after I pulled this thing out had a little pull tab on it, meaning pull it off. This has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with poor labeling and personal experience.

If this does in fact void the warranty, I feel a lawsuit coming on.

I spent an hour sifting through my garbage last night, only to realize I didn't through it away. I just put it back in the box. Luckily there was enough adhesive still on it to just stick it right back on.

Upvote 0
Quoted text removed by Mod

I didn't pull it all the way but I can see why some people would. The tab looks EXACTLY like the pull tabs in numerous other electronic products to get them started. The "Do not cut this" warning brings an even bigger similarity since cutting the tabs of said Electronics would cause a huge problem since you wouldn't be able to get them started. That's specifically why I made a topic like this to let people know just in case. It is a huge oversight especially when it isn't even mentioned in the manual.

Upvote 0
Well, I did stare at it awhile in confusion...it's the "pull do not cut" instructions that are completely confusing and the little indention in the plastic that looks like a pre-made slit in a cheese package where you're supposed to pull the top off and then use the ziplock to reclose it. I think they could've made it clearer.

BUT, I didn't pull it off and quickly figured out it was to get the battery back out.

Upvote 0
If you take two seconds to actually look at the tab there is nothing to lead you to believe that it should be removed. Yes I know it says "pull" and "do not cut", but look what it is attached to. Why on earth would you need to rip that out? The battery contacts are clearly visible.

Common sense goes a long way. So does reading the manual. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me. It's kind of embarrassing now that I think about it. But I have had a few electronic devices with a similar tab in order to sync with the battery. Luckily it was just a minor tear, and it was still in the box 6 days later. I didn't realize the necessity of the tab until I wanted to pull the battery for fun, then I realized my error.

On a refreshing note, if I were still a blackberry user, I would have immediately (within 8-12 hours) known what it was for. Since owning this phone I have only pulled the battery once in 1 week, and that was for old times sake. I was used to about 5 battery pulls a day with my old blackberry.

Upvote 0
If you take two seconds to actually look at the tab there is nothing to lead you to believe that it should be removed. Yes I know it says "pull" and "do not cut", but look what it is attached to. Why on earth would you need to rip that out? The battery contacts are clearly visible.

So, what manual do you speak of? The majority of electronics I've purchased come with at least one protective covering over delicate parts. Common sense would have been to label the tab, "Battery Pull" or at least have "Do not remove" written somewhere.

Upvote 0
I can't believe people are acting like we're idiots for pulling it off. Read WHAT manual? As far as I saw it said nothing about this tab in the booklets that came with the phone. I looked before throwing the thing out. I'm sorry I didn't closely inspect what I thought was a piece of trash. I've never seen anything like this on any device before. Kudos if it makes you feel superior that you knew not to pull it out.

Upvote 0

I am assuming this is the manual you are talking about.

Please, do me a favor and tell me on what page is says not to pull anything that is labled pull. Thanks in advance for your help. I must be too dumb to find it.

Upvote 0
I can't believe people are acting like we're idiots for pulling it off. Read WHAT manual? As far as I saw it said nothing about this tab in the booklets that came with the phone. I looked before throwing the thing out. I'm sorry I didn't closely inspect what I thought was a piece of trash. I've never seen anything like this on any device before. Kudos if it makes you feel superior that you knew not to pull it out.

My thoughts exactly!

Upvote 0
I am assuming this is the manual you are talking about.

Please, do me a favor and tell me on what page is says not to pull anything that is labled pull. Thanks in advance for your help. I must be too dumb to find it.

There is this on Motorola's site...

DROID X - Getting Started (Assemble & Charge)

Unfortunately, that little detail was never included on any documentation that actually came with the phone. And nowhere on that page does it say anything about voiding the warranty. Maybe if it's removed and discarded since I can't see the s/n listed anywhere else on the phone except for on this glued on plastic piece?

I just don't understand how some people can't comprehend that the way the tab is labeled combined with no instructions could lead to confusion, especially considering there are so many devices that come with similar plastic tabs that are supposed to be removed.

The phone is marketed as state of the art; just seems counter-intuitive that a glued on plastic tab is the way to remove the battery.

Upvote 0
It seriously voids the warranty? Why didn't Verizon label the sticker "DO NOT TOUCH" so it would be easily understood? I pulled the sticker out immediately... because, on most things I buy, I have to pull stickers and things like that out.

Oh well... if the phone becomes defective, I will run it over with my car, take it to Verizon, and pay the $89 to have it replaced.

Upvote 0
I'm taking mine back to Walmart when they have any in stock. :p

But seriously... this is a major issue that I'm SURE many people have thought that they're supposed to pull it out. I pulled it out myself and no I'm not some idiot who was like "OOOOOOO pretty little tab that says 'Pull it'". I actually thought there was a reason behind pulling it and my logic was that it was to activate something.

It's quite disappointing to see that people are going out and calling people idiots or lacking "common sense". Keep in mind that the majority of buyers of this smartphone are people who aren't so tech savvy. Even tech savvy people made this mistake.

It was labeled very badly that would cause a lot of confusion. No where that I could easily find in the manual does it say to "DO NOT REMOVE".

It's a bit shocking to see that people have genuine problems and others are basically coming here and saying "lol what an idiot"

Upvote 0
Hi all - some of you have read my Slashdot journal on the Pull-tab and warranty.

My wife did get an email from Motorola confirming that her warranty was voided by pulling and tearing the tab, HOWEVER...

She spoke to someone else from Motorola yesterday who thought that sounded a little nuts, spoke to someone in support who confirmed that such an occurrence would NOT void the warranty.

This calmed things down for us a bit, but for the record we have:

Written: you voided your warranty
Verbal: you haven't voided your warranty

The Mrs. believes she has a little more cover now, and is finally actively using and enjoying her DroidX, but it'd be really great if Motorola would address this issue directly...

(will be reposting this to other fora where I have been active to update the situation).

Upvote 0
well the first X i got, i pulled it clear off. But i had the screen flicker issue wih that one so its going back. I took it to a store to show them and they saw the tab... nothing about warrenty issues for me. oh well im gonna send it back. The new phone i got.. i left it on. lol. If you have kids i bet you pulled it. looks like a tab on kids toys to take them from demo mode to actual toy. ive pulled enough of those tabs off kids toys.

Upvote 0
When you receive your Droid X and are about to put the battery into the back you will see a tab telling you to pull it. You will not find it mentioned anywhere in the instructions and its presence is an oddity.

DO NOT PULL IT OUT!

It is supposed to help you get the battery out when you have it in. If you pull the whole thing like indicated the backing will completely rip out.

Wow I mean just wow how times have changed. I'm not being a jerk, but were you ever a kid? I mean all my electronic toys had a tab to help remove the batteries. I had to send this post to all my friends so we could all have a good LOL.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones