• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New! DroidLive Streaming application!

Hey guys I'm very happy to let all of you know that finally the best app for streaming shoutcast content is on the android market! :)

DroidLive is a player that lets you stream radio stations. It has a unique and different design that lets you search and organize stations in an easy and intuitive way. Be the first to experience this innovative player!

I hope you guys can check it out!
www.droidlive.com

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

-Jona

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

-Jona

The Android Syndrome: Great app, awful interface. :( It works but it also looks very, very amateurish for such great experience overall. Also, can you bundle it with a Shoutcast widget that shows the name of the song that is playing, its album art if such was found since streaming start, as well as the traffic and the total traffic downloaded this session/since using unless wiped in case using WiFi, 3G or Wifi and 3G (option defined). This would be very useful for people on limited 3G networks.

Upvote 0
Hey Raynerape,
Android Syndrome? Awful interface? Very Amateurish? Well it sure is different than other apps, we decided to take the creative step and not use the standard plain graphics android provides...

I would be interesting to get an example from you of an application that you consider not amateurish and with a great interface... I want to see where you are coming from...

Sorry you didn't like it... About your ideas they are good and we have been working on a widget and other features...

Upvote 0
I purchased the app tonight, and find the UI much easier to use than several
streaming apps I tested out this evening.

However when I select an item I have searched for, if the on screen
keyboard is up, the app crashes. If I remember to close the on screen
keyboard first, then select my search result the app will not crash.

I tried re-booting the device, but that did not help, and I have also noticed
that if I use the onscreen keyboard, then dismiss it, then select a search result,
sometimes the onscreen keyboard pops back up, then the app crashes as well.
There seems to be some issue with the onscreen keyboard though.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the upcoming release.

I'm not going to delete and refund, as I do like the app, but as with
all new software, it could use some tweaks. I wish when you are scrolling
through a list, the highlighted item was a completely different color, as
I cannot always tell which item I am scrolling over, old eyes I guess :)

Currently in the market, I have given the app 3 stars, but I feel with
future releases I will be upgrading it to 5 stars.

Thanks

Chuck E.

Upvote 0
Jona,

Here is another issue I noticed while using the search in the app. If you search
with quotes around the text, the app will also crash.

What happened was I was searching for OTR, as I like Old Time Radio programs, and I was also getting results like GotRadio, as the letters OTR are together there, so I put quotes like this "OTR" and the app crashed every time. I also tried it with other text such as "BBC" and it also crashed.

I hope I'm not coming across as complaining here, I'm just trying to provide
some feedback where I see problems.

Thanks

Chuck E.

Upvote 0
Update is out! :)

I tried rushing it out ASAP... So now any issues still remaining please email me :) It really helps! :) if any issues I'll try doing updates more frequent...

DroidLive v1.0.6 - 08/23/09

• New player graphical design.
  • Player buttons improved responsiveness.
  • Optimized streaming code.
  • Search input field now supports URL input for streaming.
  • New sleep timer!
  • New volume control!
  • Improved overall application response.
  • Android back button supported.
  • New smart logic to handle network problems reconnects, disconnects, etc...
  • Removed slide FXs to smooth fades, improves app response.
  • Added error messages for network issues while searching new stations.
  • Copy to clipboard tag option added.
  • Full spanish and italian supported.
  • Removed german support and will put back once translation is complete.
  • Added genre header to let users know what they are seeing

-Jona

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update.

The additions to the UI work well both functionally and visually. The interface is very responsive. It's now very easy to overshoot when scrolling the list looking for a particular station - very fluid. :) I had a couple of disconnections while moving around at work (metal-framed warehouse, acts like a giant Faraday cage) but the player picked up again nicely when the signal improved. The error msgs are a nice touch too. Apart from that the stream played fine with no hiss or other artifacts. Thumbs up from me!

/Al

Upvote 0
Update is out! :)

I tried rushing it out ASAP... So now any issues still remaining please email me :) It really helps! :) if any issues I'll try doing updates more frequent...

DroidLive v1.0.6 - 08/23/09

• New player graphical design.
  • Player buttons improved responsiveness.
  • Optimized streaming code.
  • Search input field now supports URL input for streaming.
  • New sleep timer!
  • New volume control!
  • Improved overall application response.
  • Android back button supported.
  • New smart logic to handle network problems reconnects, disconnects, etc...
  • Removed slide FXs to smooth fades, improves app response.
  • Added error messages for network issues while searching new stations.
  • Copy to clipboard tag option added.
  • Full spanish and italian supported.
  • Removed german support and will put back once translation is complete.
  • Added genre header to let users know what they are seeing

-Jona

Have some of these enhancements been added to the lite version as well? I've downloaded the lite version recently, and I love the graphical UI, and the app seems to perform well. But given the lite version says v1.01 I'm wondering if this isn't the updated version. If not I'd like to see some screenshots etc. I'm very interested in the paid version, primarily for the favourite and tagging options... But I want to give things a thorough test first... i.e. running a station for a long time.

My only feedback (on the lite version) would be some method to see fuller information of each station in the search results. Many stations have long names/descriptions which are cut off as screen space runs out. A press and hold option to view full information would be awesome.

Secondly, only a personal preference but I find the way artist and track names scroll annoying. I'd rather it was a continuous loop rather than getting to the end and immediately resetting itself. I had an instance where both the artist and track name were just a letter or two too long... and seeing them both almost vibrate was a bit painful.

Nice app, keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
Slug thanks a lot for your feedback! :)

Kona, about the free version, I will be putting up an update this week I'm on the process of doing just that! :) Will have the new graphics but still limited features.... About the station name being long, if you have it highlighted it will scroll to show you extra info. In the player you might be right could be annoying, what you recommend?
*Let it scroll automatically few times and maybe use finger to scroll text too?

I like the idea of a long press on a radio for more information... I got to see how much info is available for each station to see if worth it?

Let me add we are going to add tutorial too for using this app since some things aren't too obvious for some people...

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones