• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New & Dumb User

dzneefan

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
Ok ..don't kill me - I don't know a lot about my phone. Going on a trip next week and I will be needing to use my phone for everything. I am at 53.1GB storage on my 64GB phone so I am sure I need to take off or close these apps. How do I do this? Plus I will be traveling by plane can I use Netflix or do I down load a movie? How do I make sure I don't use all my data? Sorry for so many questions!

Go to your phones settings, tap Apps. Tap an app you want to uninstall, then tap Uninstall.

Netflix - download movie over WiFi to watch offline:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

Some planes offer WiFi but you have to pay for it.
I really didn't want to uninstall all my apps. Is there a way to keep them and they just not run?? Seems like the ones I want to uninstall are the ones "glued" to the phone!

Upvote 0
Closing an app, or having it not run, doesn't reduce the amount of space used. You could close every app and would still be using 53.1GB of space. To free up space you'd have to uninstall apps or delete pics/vids/files.

Yes, the S9+ has an SD card slot. If you're going to be downloading Netflix movies getting a SD card would be a better option. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Closing an app, or having it not run, doesn't reduce the amount of space used. You could close every app and would still be using 53.1GB of space. To free up space you'd have to uninstall apps or delete pics/vids/files.

Yes, the S9+ has an SD card slot. If you're going to be downloading Netflix movies getting a SD card would be a better option. :thumbsupdroid:
Thank you - now that I think about it - that makes sense. Does having a lot of apps slow down or use up your data? I will try to connect to wi-fi when I can. But I'm not sure how reliable it will be. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions - btw!

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I really didn't want to uninstall all my apps. Is there a way to keep them and they just not run?? Seems like the ones I want to uninstall are the ones "glued" to the phone!
the ones that are "glued" are your susyem apps. there is a way to delete those but it can get fairly complicated. we can walk you through it if you really want to.

i would definitely get a large sd card, if you do not have one already. and don't get the cheap chinese ones. get like a sandisk or samsung sd cards.

Upvote 0
Thank you - now that I think about it - that makes sense. Does having a lot of apps slow down or use up your data? I will try to connect to wi-fi when I can. But I'm not sure how reliable it will be. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions - btw!
having a lot of apps can slow the phone down. especially if they take up a lot of room. they can also use up data, but that will depend on the app. just delete the apps you do not use very much and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Does having a lot of apps slow down or use up your data?
Some apps will use background data.

Background data is data that apps use while you're not actually using that app. So if a game updates itself when you're taking a picture that's background data. Auto checking for new email when you're not in your email app is also background data. This only applies to mobile data, not WiFi.

To reduce data used:
Data Saver was introduced in Android 7.0 Nougat. When turned on and you’re connected to mobile data it limits background apps you are not using, they can only use a small amount of data. So it's similar to Restrict Background Data but lets apps use minimal data like receiving emails but doesn't allow 300MB updates.

Turn Data Saver on or off:
Got to Settings
Tap Data usage.
Tap on Data saver and tap the slider on or off.
(steps might vary slightly by phone)

You can also set your phone to only update apps over WiFi which will reduce your data usage. Here is how to change the Play Store settings for how apps are updated:
1. Open the Play Store.
2. In the top left corner tap the menu icon.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap Auto Update Apps.
5. Tap the option you want. The WiFi option will only use WiFi. "Update apps anytime" can use your mobile data. "Do not auto update apps" will not update any apps.

Upvote 0
Don't forget, that it is good practice to always first 'cler data' before you uninstall an app.

This helps to ensue that the app takes all of its files with it into Digital Heaven.

Another excellent way to save space, increase security, and tidy up your device is to use your browser instead of any social or shopping apps.

Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc. are all space hogs that can easily be replaced with your browser.

Just bookmark your sites right after you log in.
The next time you tap that bookmark, it will take you right to that site.
If you allow cookies on your browser, you will still be logged in.

Speaking of browsers, one that I always recommend due to its speed, simplicity, and security is Lightning Browser.

This browser can easilly take the place of any app that mearly connects you to a site.
Not only that, it is so easy to use, user friendly, and fast that you will find that you will enjoy your device more.

This browser has become the base for multiple other browsers.
This link takes you to F-Droid, where you can download the original Lightning Browser.

Lightning (Lightweight web browser) - https://f-droid.org/packages/acr.browser.lightning

Juat ask if you have any questions about how to set it up or use it.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones