• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New EASY!! root method for l9

I rooted my L9 in December when it was 10e, and lost root when it updated to 10g. I didn't bother to do anything because AdAway was still working, but now I want to get root again so I can use the SD card. I have Android 4.1.2, software version 20d, and verified that I do have spritebud.

I tried this but got "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it" when I ran SuperSU. adb says /system/xbin/su does exist but maybe that's not the right location? I can update, but can't uninstall SuperSU. It seems like the previous root setup is confusing it somehow?

Any suggestions before I try wiping it and starting fresh?

Upvote 0
I rooted my L9 in December when it was 10e, and lost root when it updated to 10g. I didn't bother to do anything because AdAway was still working, but now I want to get root again so I can use the SD card. I have Android 4.1.2, software version 20d, and verified that I do have spritebud.

I tried this but got "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it" when I ran SuperSU. adb says /system/xbin/su does exist but maybe that's not the right location? I can update, but can't uninstall SuperSU. It seems like the previous root setup is confusing it somehow?

Any suggestions before I try wiping it and starting fresh?

A simple reboot should allow you to install supersu or superuser. If not check your file permissions, should be rw-r-r

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply; still no root for me. I tried a few more times, then did a hard reset and tried again. That didn't get rid of the su binary, and getting root didn't work, so I restored my backup.

Here's what I tried after restoring my backup:
- verified I have spritebud and su already:

adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/su
-rwxr-xr-x root shell 91992 2013-01-24 15:13 su

adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/spritebud
-rwxr-xr-x root shell 31116 2013-05-03 08:34 spritebud

- uninstalled SuperUser (from my previous root in Dec)
- disabled SuperSU, deleted data and cache (can't uninstall; this takes it back to 0.96)
- restored LGPwn, restarted
- enabled SuperSU, updated, and opened
SuperSU: "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it." A strange thing is that when the app opens, it appears to have a different (old?) logo - a yellow diamond with a red #, instead of the blue bot/red cape
- installed Superuser; it opened fine and tab showed "No apps in list"
- tried Titanium Backup: "Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges."
- tried Root Checker Basic: "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access."

Oh well, I'll try again after the next update...

Upvote 0
Worked like a charm for me.. Im using the Tmobile P769-20d running JB..
Ive been trying unsuccessfully to unlock the damn bootloader.. for months now.. lol
Couldnt get Superuser to work.. even though im sure I could of, but SuperSU worked just as well.. The guys at my local Tmobile store said the L9 is unrootable, now i can tell them to suck it! lol

Upvote 0
Worked on my T-Mobile LG Optimus L9 P769 with the latest 20f Android version.

I had to go to the first post in the original thread that is referenced in the first post of the thread that is references in the first post in this thread (2 threads back) to get the apk file, but other than that, I installed the apk, ran it, did the restore, let it reboot, installed supersu, and it was done.

I also uninstalled the apk afterwards and deleted its restore file.

I tested root access with EsFile Explorer.

FYI: Not that it is directly relevant, but in case anyone is interested, I did a factory reset a few hours before I rooted it.

Upvote 0
Anybody have a workaround for the apps only being stored on the internal memory of the metro pcs LG l9 Optimus p76910e? Please advise. Thank you.
My solution is to root the phone and use Link2SD to move the apps to a second partition on my MicroSD card. I used a 1.GB partition on my 32.GB card. You can use a larger second partition if you plan to install lots of large apps, but I have 72 apps (though very few games) and still have a lot of room left on the second partition. I didn't move all the apps, just many of the larger non-critical ones. I didn't move anything that I wanted to still work in an emergency if something happened to the MicroSD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones