• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Electrify Owner

ali79shine

Aug 17, 2010
So I came to the Electrify from the HTC Desire, and before that the Samsung Acclaim, I must say so far so "GREAT"!!! The Acclaim SUCKED and I loved my Desire....minus the part where I had to delete apps every day to make the darn thing work.

With that being said, Let me know cool new things on this phone, I'm excited to get it personalized! I am enjoying the kickstand, sounds like most don't like the fact you can plug in while using....Simple flip it upside down and plug in, the kickstand works just as well that way. I have added my most favorite apps, but let me know what you all think.

TuneIn Radio Pro
Pandora
Facebook
Kids Doodle
Music Download
Netflix
Ringdroid

What are your favorite apps, or personalizations to this phone? :D

Welcome to the Electrify Forums! :D

I, too, came from the Acclaim (which indeed sucked) followed by the Mesmerize and now the Electrify. Definitely a high-quality phone.

Starting off as you probably found out, you cannot change the amount of window panes you have for the homescreen. The only way around that is to download a 3rd party UI (ADW Launcher, GoLaundher, EXLaunder, etc.) and changing it there.

Next - K9 Mail. I recommend this if you'd like to have control over what colors your LED notifcation displays. Right now, I have blue for my gmail, yellow for Yahoo, and red for my spam address. Check it out here.

Since this phone is equipped with a dual-core Tegra 2 processor, I recommend downloading the NVIDIA Tegra Zone app. This is sort of like the Android Market, but only shows games that are designed to operate specifically with Tegra 2 processors. You can get it here.

Another fun application you can download is the Amazon Store App. Every day they give away a free application that typically costs money. For instance, the application Documents To Go normally costs $15. Amazon App Store let me download it for free. :D Check it out here.

If you like having widgets, then I recommend Beautiful Widgets. Its a very cheap application (like 2 or 3 bucks) that gives you the ability to place multiple different widgets like a weather clock or toggle widgets. Each one is customizable and the themes are free to download. Check it here.

Although you cannot use the kickstand in its typical function while charging the phone, you can buy the HD docking station that allows you to charge your phone and have it plugged in to your TV via HDMI. Connecting the phone this way will increase the resolution (or so I was told by USCC) of the phone's display on the TV screen. Combine it with the wireless keyboard and you've got a mini computer. :3

I generally use my Electrify for music and games so I downloaded Google Music. I absolutely love it. You can find free music available for download in the Android Market.

If you have any questions about the phone feel free to ask!

Enjoy your new phone!

Reactions: ali79shine
Upvote 0
Matt88si....YOU ROCK! I will check all of this out! It's hard to put the phone down, I just want to mess with it all day long! Anything else please repost!! I am going to try and figure out the LED thing first, I have 3 gmail accounts so will it work on all of them? I don't like the email or the gmail thing on this phone. I only want to download 3 days worth of emails and I can't figure out how to make that happen. On my Desire it was set up beautifully. UGH! I just need more time with the phone, I've only had it for 13 hours(most of that I was sleeping, LOL)

Upvote 0
K-9 Mail will help with all of that. After you activate it and put in your primary Gmail account, go into the Gmail application that came preloaded with the phone, go into settings, and disable notifcations. After that, go in to K9 and under More > Settings > Account Settings > Notifications you will find the part that says Blink LED - make sure this is checked. Then under Notification LED color, you're given a color wheel to choose the colors. However, there are MANY colors on the color wheel, but the LED notification light on the Electrify only registers certain colors; red, blue, green, yellow, and white are the only ones I've been able to get to work.

After setting this up for your primary account, you can begin adding more accounts. To add another account, go into K9 and from the Accounts page press the menu button and choose Add Account. If you're in the Inbox, press menu and then choose More > Accounts and continue from there.

You'll have to navigate the settings page to find out about specific options that you can enable as I don't recall them all off the top of my head.

If you enjoy playing games, I do recommend grabbing Princess Punt THD (THD = Tegra High Definition) from the TegraZone market. It's free and is pretty fun to play. It sort of plays like Angry Birds, but instead you 'punt' knights, archers, spearmen, and mages towards enemies while collecting coins. They continue to fight even after kicking them.

If you want to change up your background and ringtones, I suggest you download the application Zedge. You can download backgrounds, ringtones, and notification tones for your phone and apply them directly from the app. You can get that one here.

Also, if you're a Google+ member, I would recommend downloading the Google+ app. It also comes with a secondary app called Messenger for directly chatting with friends. Get that here.

Lastly, stay up to date with your Phandroid needs with this application here. :)

Anything else I can help you with?

Upvote 0
Also if I use K9 Mail can I delete my other program that runs my email on this phone? Does that even make sense? There is an icon that says gmail and one that says email, well I don't like either of the options for those apps, I want to delete them.

Unfortunately, you cannot uninstall the preloaded email applications. That is why in my previous post I mentioned turning off the notifications for the Gmail app.

Once K9 is activated and you've registered your primary Gmail account, it will become the primary email notifier and reader for your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones