1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New(er) Messenger app - no new message icon

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by a_gunslinger, Jun 25, 2016.

1. a_gunslinger

a_gunslinger Lurker
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    My Galaxy S6 asked me to install a new Messenger (blue icon version). Nice cleaner looking interface. Only issue is the main icon never shows the new notification icon like the old one did. I can turn notification on very top notification bar on phone, but MUCH prefer the easier to see number of new messages icon on the Messenger icon. Was this omitted by design?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    You can't forward more than 1 text item, or 1 picture.
    IMO, Messenger is a piece of crap.

at least on Textra I can forward as many items as I want, be they pictures or text. it don't care.

I won't let Messenger within a mile of my contacts list. no way, jose...
    if I did not need it for a special purpose, it would not be on my phone, in fact, after this week is over, I am going to uninstall it.

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    There is a Google messenger app (sms/mms) and a Facebook messenger app. I don't find any problems with the Google messenger app...can send multiple attachments and my contacts are not available outside of Google where they are stored. It also has great android wear integration.

A little number in the icon indicating # unread is called an unread count badge. Unread count badges for sms (and phone calls, voicemails, gmail) can be provided by nova launcher with an additional plugin/ app: "tesla unread" or "missed it" (see unread count badges in nova settings...you have to give permissions for each app there in order to get badges). Other launchers may have similar feature.

It may be helpful for anyone answering to know the launcher and sms app you're using (stock?) since those are involved in generating the badge. I personally don't know much outside nova launcher..but you might way to try nova if you're not happy with your launcher.

#3 electricpete, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    MLSS likes this.