• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New EVO Owners: Please Report Your Build Quality

Bestbuy, California.. picked it up at 10am on 6/4
Hardware version 2.

No real issues that I can see. Battery life is good unless I am streaming. Does better then my friends Droid.

Battery cover is solid, was hard to get off at first, now its easy but not loose.

Only issue is Pandora locking up. Happens at work occationally while streaming to Bluetooth headphones and walking in and out of range.

Sent from my evo

Upvote 0
Radio Shack
South Carolina
Launch Day
HW002
Screen separation, can see it move when you press the glass
light from all 4 buttons
never used the headphone jack, BT only
wifi icon issue (signal is fantastic)
no grounding issues
no dust
very mild multitouch issue
reboot issue only happened 2 days, one day 4 times though
front camera works good
kickstand not squeaky
no dead pixels
speaker sounds great
battery lasts 6-15 hours with mild use/not charging overnight
battery lasts 2-5 hours with 90% usage, multiple antennas turned on and off repeatedly

Android battery time today...
6hr 27 mins
28% battery life remaining
maps 87% (have not opened any map app in 2 days, no idea what is going on here, battery has been removed and replaced since last time any mapping software was used)
CPU total:39s
Data Sent 25.66KB
Data received 16.14KB
android system 5%
cell standby 4%
phone idle 2%
display 2%

considering replacing my phone between days 26 and 30, if a HW004 shows up. mostly depends on the development of any other issues. I have blogged some things about the Evo, complete with pics taken and video at high and low resolution. you can read it here...

Joel Perry Productions

Upvote 0
Hw 0003

No light leakage.
Bottom is flush/slightly recessed with the edge. Top is slightly recessed.
Battery life seems solid. Better than my Pre and about the same as my Hero.
I have tested for the grounding issue about 5 or 6 times and have not been able to replicate it on my phone. Purchased on Tuesday. It had just arrived that day.

Upvote 0
(Borrowed Ruhnie's layout lol) ALL GOTTEN FROM SAME BEST BUY

Evo1 - 06/04 (all problems happened in 2 days from 6/15-6/16)
Build 002
- Light Leakage - major leakage from all the way across the bottom
- Raised screen on bottom - major raised
- Home button became unresponsive

Evo2 - 06/17
Build 002
- Light Leakage
- Raised screen on bottom - worse than my original
- Top part of screen did not work - could not pull down notifications or do anything with that part of the screen

Evo3 -
06/18
Build 003

So FAR all is well and appears to be very strong (much different feeling than the other 2) will know more after a couple of days...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones