1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New extended battery has NFC, will my phone now have it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FirebirdStud, Aug 22, 2012.

1. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Android Enthusiast

I just purchased the official 2000mAh battery from Samsung for the Galaxy S2. On the battery it says Near Field Communication on it. Is there any way to now use that with my phone, or does that need to have software installed on the phone to enable it?

Just curious.

Either way, Im excited to upgrade this crappy stock battery.

Cody

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

I thought the S2 had NFC anyway. I'm pretty sure my Dad's does.

Back to your question...if your phone didn't have it before, chances are it probably won't with the extended battery. Has to have contact points for the NFC antenna (located on the battery) to transmit/receive back to the phone. Also would have to have the feature enabled in the software, which would be easily accomplished in a custom ROM if not already enabled. But the hardware has to be there first and it's more than just the battery.

FirebirdStud likes this.
  3. FirebirdStud

I dont see NFC anywhere inside my phone's options, so looks like in stock form it wont work. I will see what the new battery looks like to see if I have the antenna connectors, because if these are not on the phone then I can just stop there.

Thanks for the info!!

4. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

Not sure which model you have, but check this out

How to Enable NFC on Samsung Galaxy S2 Running Jelly Bean [GUIDE] - International Business Times UK

Appears it is easily acheivable with Root and a custom ROM if your model has the hardware.

5. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

The Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100P, variant has NFC capability. The Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100, doesn't, by default, I'm afraid.

However, I'm wondering if flashing the, "P", variant firmware to your phone, "might", enable it.

6. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I've no idea on this, but my thoughts are that nfc would require different hardware. If it could be enabled at the software/firmware level then it wouldn't have been suppressed in the first place, or at the very least there would have been a mod to do this by now.

7. FirebirdStud

damn, I dont have the P variant. I just have the normal one with no letter at the end.

8. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

No. Says so plainly in the article I posted. The P variant has different hardware that allows for NFC. The other variant does not have the hardware and is therefore not able to via a software/firmware update.

Sorry bud.

9. FirebirdStud

Funny, the picture in the ad said NFC on the battery but the one I got doesn't. Still in the genuine Samsung packaging though

10. cristianu

cristianu Lurker

I have trouble with my i9100p battery. Please tell me where did you buy nfc battery?

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews