• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lpen21

Dec 31, 2013
Hey everyone there is a new firmware update for our phones. Under settings --->about phone--->kyocera firmware. Not sure what it is but virgin mobile website now lists the hydro vibe as 4.4.2. Not sure if you can download and install without loosing root. I will post more once I install.

Were you able to keep root?
I didn't risk it. So phone stock before update applied. This was a BIG update and sprint will also be rolling out wifi calling over the next couple of weeks. Phone seems to be really stable now tons of multitasking and no random reeboots, I've thrown everything at it since the upgrade and no issues at all. For me no reason to have root now. Not sure what would happen if you tried to upgrade with root but since no recovery is at hand there is no way out if you get stuck in a boot loop

Upvote 0
Unrooted my phone for this update but I forgot I applied a CM theme on it and forgot to revert it back and updated and now it's bootlooping......ordered a replacement. This is the second time I've had to order a replacement. Since the warranty is only 90 days on the replacement phone, luckily I got my other replacement in August so I'm good....hopefully I won't screw up my next phone

Upvote 0
This update is a major overhaul, fixing autofocus camera issues and of course upgrading to Kit Kat. So far I am very happy with how stable the phone is. We are also supposedly getting wifi calling (at least Sprint versions are) and seeing as Virgin is part of Sprint we hopefully get that too. So far haven't seen it. I suspect it may be a separate update. Sprint is always slow in rolling out updates so if you haven't seen it in your phone it may take a couple of weeks to reach you. Sounds like having root is a definite NO. I am hesitant to root after since we have no recovery and now that the phone is upgraded in a major way I may stay clear until a working recovery is available. The phone is much smoother and stable now, very pleased.

Upvote 0
This update is a major overhaul, fixing autofocus camera issues and of course upgrading to Kit Kat. So far I am very happy with how stable the phone is. We are also supposedly getting wifi calling (at least Sprint versions are) and seeing as Virgin is part of Sprint we hopefully get that too. So far haven't seen it. I suspect it may be a separate update. Sprint is always slow in rolling out updates so if you haven't seen it in your phone it may take a couple of weeks to reach you. Sounds like having root is a definite NO. I am hesitant to root after since we have no recovery and now that the phone is upgraded in a major way I may stay clear until a working recovery is available. The phone is much smoother and stable now, very pleased.

Well someone reported that using the same program to unroot they noted they were able to update without any problems. just haven't attempted to reroot.

So i haven't a clue.

Upvote 0
I unfortunately updated it with root, before reading this forum, and got stuck in boot-loop. My replacement is coming in within 1-3 days. Im honestly excited even i gotta wait for the new one. Just wondering, do i have to root in order to move complete apps to my SD-card?? and, do you get Sprint Spark with the update??

Upvote 0
I unfortunately updated it with root, before reading this forum, and got stuck in boot-loop. My replacement is coming in within 1-3 days. Im honestly excited even i gotta wait for the new one. Just wondering, do i have to root in order to move complete apps to my SD-card?? and, do you get Sprint Spark with the update??

Not sure about the apps to sd, haven't monkeyed around with it enough to tell and since there is no recovery I am hesitant to try because all of the app2sd type apps are buggy and sometimes crash the phone. As far as spark yes, I have the spark Icon now after updating to 4.4.2. The phone is really stable now also so stoked about that.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm relatively new to all this but I was hoping to ask you all a question. I rooted my phone and got boot loop with the firmware up date. It seems everyone is replacing theirs, I've had mine less than a month. Is there a way to fix it or can I get virgin mobile to replace it? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm relatively new to all this but I was hoping to ask you all a question. I rooted my phone and got boot loop with the firmware up date. It seems everyone is replacing theirs, I've had mine less than a month. Is there a way to fix it or can I get virgin mobile to replace it? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I appreciate the help.

You best luck will be to call VM. When mine got stuck in boot loop, not even a factory reset could fix the issue

Upvote 0

I think standard warranty without insurance by Virgin is 90 days for replacement long as there no physical damage, and maybe best to leave out its rooted. lmao

Upvote 0
I was just trying to find out if anyone else is having issues like I am after the recent update. I don't know all the technical lingo so bootloop and all that makes absolutely no sense to me. But ever since my phone updated some pages will not auto rotate, such as certain areas in FB (albums) and the chat window for AIM. There is no option on the programs for autorotate and my phone is still set to do that as it's supposed to. Both places rotated just fine before this. Is that happening for anyone else and if so, how would I go about fixing it? I've been looking all over online and i cannot find anything.

Any bit of info would help and please try not to use techno jargon because I won't understand it ^^; Thank you to anyone that can help.

Upvote 0
You best luck will be to call VM. When mine got stuck in boot loop, not even a factory reset could fix the issue

I think standard warranty without insurance by Virgin is 90 days for replacement long as there no physical damage, and maybe best to leave out its rooted. lmao

Oh nice, thanks for the help. I'll contact virgin mobile then and just let them know it messed up when the firmware came out (technically true) or probably even say less.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I was just trying to find out if anyone else is having issues like I am after the recent update. I don't know all the technical lingo so bootloop and all that makes absolutely no sense to me. But ever since my phone updated some pages will not auto rotate, such as certain areas in FB (albums) and the chat window for AIM. There is no option on the programs for autorotate and my phone is still set to do that as it's supposed to. Both places rotated just fine before this. Is that happening for anyone else and if so, how would I go about fixing it? I've been looking all over online and i cannot find anything.

Any bit of info would help and please try not to use techno jargon because I won't understand it ^^; Thank you to anyone that can help.
Yes, happened to me before the update actually. The only thing that fixed it was to shut the phone down( hold power button several seconds to get to that menu) then when the phone is shut down pull the battery out and wait 10-15 seconds. Reinsert battery and power on. For me that fixed the auto rotate issue. Let us know if this works for you

Upvote 0
I am actually having a problem with the apps on the sd card that only started happening since the update. The apps show up multiple times on the apps screen (and not on the home screen). I have one app that shows up over 100 times. This is only happening to apps on the sd card, and since I am new to having a smartphone (I've only had this phone for little over a month), I am not sure how to fix this (if I can at all). I appreciate any and all help on this matter.

Upvote 0
I am actually having a problem with the apps on the sd card that only started happening since the update. The apps show up multiple times on the apps screen (and not on the home screen). I have one app that shows up over 100 times. This is only happening to apps on the sd card, and since I am new to having a smartphone (I've only had this phone for little over a month), I am not sure how to fix this (if I can at all). I appreciate any and all help on this matter.

try to move back to phone and then move once again back to the sd card. or what you can do is, take the SD and put it into a computer that can read it and see if it has multiple files of the same one, delete the excess ones. I usually delete everything on my SD besides pics and music.

Upvote 0
I didn't risk it. So phone stock before update applied. This was a BIG update and sprint will also be rolling out wifi calling over the next couple of weeks. Phone seems to be really stable now tons of multitasking and no random reeboots, I've thrown everything at it since the upgrade and no issues at all. For me no reason to have root now. Not sure what would happen if you tried to upgrade with root but since no recovery is at hand there is no way out if you get stuck in a boot loop

There is a recovery, but I don't know if you can get into it while bootlooping.
1) take out battery
2) reinsert battery and hold volume down and power for however long it takes you to get into recovery (keep holding while at the "powered by android" screen
3) stock recovery!
I let my friend borrow my phone and he put a pattern on it (sighs) so I found a forum on the original Hydro, and it worked. I hope it helps for some of you

Upvote 0
There is a recovery, but I don't know if you can get into it while bootlooping.
1) take out battery
2) reinsert battery and hold volume down and power for however long it takes you to get into recovery (keep holding while at the "powered by android" screen
3) stock recovery!
I let my friend borrow my phone and he put a pattern on it (sighs) so I found a forum on the original Hydro, and it worked. I hope it helps for some of you

The stock recovery it rather limited. All you can do is format user data, and cache. You can't recover your system directory to before the update. Which is what the update applies too, and so did the root. So result is a boot loop the stock recovery can't cure. If you have a boot loop for any other reason than it might work.

Ill be happy when someone unlock it or gets around it to flash a better recovery system where the whole phone can be backed up system and user data both and reflash it later for events such as a bootloop.

Upvote 0
The stock recovery it rather limited. All you can do is format user data, and cache. You can't recover your system directory to before the update. Which is what the update applies too, and so did the root. So result is a boot loop the stock recovery can't cure. If you have a boot loop for any other reason than it might work.

Ill be happy when someone unlock it or gets around it to flash a better recovery system where the whole phone can be backed up system and user data both and reflash it later for events such as a bootloop.
Yeah very limited, basically useless stock recovery because you can't do a Nandroid back up so any small miss-step and you got a paperweight.

Upvote 0
Hello Kyocera cousins! I have a hydro icon and I recently received the KitKat update to 4.4.2. I know that our phones are essentially the same so I figured I would come take a look at what's going on over here and I noticed no one has mentioned anything about ART. Well since we have 4.4.2 you can switch from davlik to ART! I posted a thread over in the Hydro Icon section about how to switch over. I have to say that my phone does feel faster, things load A LOT faster. (Apps not network) so if you are feeling saucy and want to try it out, here are the instructions:

http://androidforums.com/kyocera-hydro-icon/876610-enabling-art-kitkat.html

I will also say it doesn't like having the apps moved to the sd though. Random force closes. The Amazon app doesn't like ART and kept force closing even after I moved it back to the phone. That being said I also noticed a slight hit to battery life. It only last a day with heavy use, before I could get a day and a half.

That's all I have to say about it. ENJOY!

Reactions: UPdownLoAD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones