1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Freedom

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ardchoille, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert

I had been researching netbooks and tablets for months and finally took the plunge last weekiend and bought a netbook. What I wanted was a way to do all of my desktop computer work regardless of where I was and, while android allows me to do most of that work, I needed a larger screen in order to do my graphics work.

Last weekend I stumbled upon an Acer Aspire One AOD255E at a local Kmart. I opened my android phone to compare prices with Amazon and found the one at Kmart was $50 cheaper than the same unit selling on Amazon. So, I grabbed it and hurried home.

This netbook ships with Microsoft Windows but I wiped the 250GB hard drive and installed Ubuntu 11.04. Two-hundred and fifty gigabytes! To my surprise everything worked.. not a single problem. It wasn't long ago that it required a lot of work to get Linux up and running problem-free on a laptop-like device.

I have friends who tether their laptops to their android phones but they eventually get throttled, so I went to the local Sprint store and added their unlimited mobile hotspot plan to my account. I don't have a voice plan so adding the hotspot plan increases my monthly bill to about the same level as it would have been had I kept the voice plan.

Now I can design themes and work on ROMs while I'm at the beach! I know that isn't what the beach is for but I'm a happy camper! :D

Advertisement

2. starxpilot

starxpilot Android Enthusiast

You lucky...

Heh, like the Demoman says, "Freeeedooooom!"

Man, you're really lucky, I don't have the dosh for things like that. [​IMG]

3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Cool, I got a netbook a year or two ago at the start of the school semester, and I don't think I've brought my old (17in) laptop anywhere since. I've got a multiboot setup with Fedora 15, ubuntu 11.04, and a custom backtrack4 for a class I'm taking. <--- honest ;)

They are very practical. During this summer, I was doing some major web design and php stuff on it. I've only go 160Gb hd though... :(

4. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert

That reminds me, I need to set up dual boot on this netbook.