1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support New Galaxy Note 3 root or no?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Akumin, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Akumin

Akumin Well-Known Member

So I just made the switch from lame ass Virgin Mobile and their old ass outdated phones to T-Mobile and the Galaxy Note 3. Is rooting safe and warranty friendly on this phone I have done a little searching and seen some yes and no answers. I have rooted 3 phones (all virgin mobile) Evo 3D, LG Optimus V, and my last phone which got stolen the ZTE Supreme aka ZTE Vital on sprint.

Anyways I like being rooted for obvious reasons such as super user and being able to run apps which require root such as my favorite app AdAway.

Would you guys say its pretty safe and warranty friendly to root this phone?

Advertisement

2. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast

I've not found a need to root this phone. I had a Galaxy S4 prior to this device and I never rooted that device either. Most if not all of the bloat that comes on the device can be turned off via the Manage Apps screen without root.

3. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

In the US, rooting is grounds for refusing to repair the phone under warranty, so if that's what you mean by "warranty friendly", no, it's not.

If you mean will it cause you problems that will require warranty repairs, probably not. Dozens (at least) of people have rooted the phone (check the TMobile Note 3 section on xda) with no problem. The bootloader isn't even locked on the TMobile version, so you could probably flash custom ROMs and recoveries. (The AT&T and Verizon versions, OTOH, are welded shut - knowing that your phone exists is almost enough to void the warranty. Which is why many people are buying the TMobile version to use on AT&T.)

@trparky:
    And with 32GB internal and (reportedly) 128GB usable externally, bloat is almost a drop of water in the ocean.

4. Akumin

Akumin Well-Known Member

Very good points I really don't know if I need to root just use to use a few apps really good phone so far blazing fast............

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

I think I want to keep this awesome phone past it self life... updates will stop coming from ATT.

so eventually I will root. so that I can keep getting new versions of Android.

but currently because of the huge lock on MY PHONE by ATT and Verizon. there are not many ROMs available. Hoping someone will find a clean way to flash ROMs without voiding warranty... so that great ROMs can start coming.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.