1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General New Galaxy Note OTA update UK

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BigScreen, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BigScreen

BigScreen Lurker

So I just received my first ever Galaxy Note firmware update over WiFi ( all other updates done through Kies) on my unrooted, factory unlocked Note running stock jellybean

It came through at 8am and was about 37mb. The description said it was for system stability or something.

let's hope this sorts out the crippling lag since JB arrived.

Advertisement

2. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Think I'm gonna wait and see how everyone else's note reacts to this update.

3. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

I installed it in the end.

Took literally 2 seconds to install. Dunno if it's supposed to install that quickly, or it failed somehow and it's another samsung mess up?

Anyway, phone's acting no differently. Still laggy, battery lasts 10 hours sitting idle with wifi on, it's turned into a pile of shit which is a shame.

I've had it with samsung phones now. Never getting one again. Sticking with nexus phones from now.

4. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

I take it it's not 4.2? I just checked mine and it says all updates are already installed.

5. jimgordon

jimgordon Lurker

Hi

I'm sorry to read about Omar's disappointment with the Note. As for me, my Note came to me from Amazon UK and had Android 4.0.3, which was useless due to it's excessive battery drain and buggy performance. It was returned and replaced with another Note using Gingerbread 2.3.6, which was much better, if a bit laggy and slow. Last month, after a visit to a local Samsung agent to replace a faulty charger socket, it was updated to Jellybean 4.1.2., a considerable improvement in my opinion. The phone has speeded up, particularly the camera. I have not suffered any of the excessive battery drain that has plagued others since the Jellybean update. As for this most recent, update, I downloaded it and it seems to have speeded up the browser. I have noticed no other changes.

Good luck to you all.

6. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

Check that the software build is date June - my Note also said all updates had been installed but connecting to Kies revealed that wasn't the case. Not sure if there is an obvious difference in performance - I got rid of a few unwanted apps and stopped automatic updating and this alone has made the Note snappier, but then I never really had a major problem like others. I wonder if the update is a security patch since the revelation of Android security weaknesses recently.

7. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

could well be tbh