• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New galaxy owner, help please.

mikeau

Lurker
Feb 17, 2010
Hi there,

I've just bought a second hand galaxy and really want to update it to the latest firmware asap but aren't exactly confident. I've read quite a few threads on the different firmwares etc but have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with..

Firstly, I only want to update to 'official' firmwares at the moment so the latest ones would be k4 and l3? My main concern is that it's said they come from Italy and China respectively, so what does that mean in terms of the language used etc? The only thing i've been able to partly figure out is that you can not include the csc file and therefore you wont get any of the extra country/carrier specific stuff?

Also, are there seperate firmwares for the main phone and the camera?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers,
Mike.

He bought a second hand galaxy not a second galaxy.

And to your question - I figure it doesn't really matter to what firmware you upgrade as long as you don't include the csc file. I flashed to II5 + galaxhero and it worked fine for me. When I flashed to IK5 my phone booted in Italian but I just changed it back to english through settings and it worked great.

Upvote 0
Lol calmn down. A Second hand galaxy is actually VERY good value for money. Its us that bought it at 400+ EUR that should be upset :)

Anyway to answer the question...

If you don't know already the letter stands for the month - so A = january, B = febuary etc, and the number is the build number (higher is newer).

L3 is a leaked firmware and although it looks completly genuine it may not be.
IK5 is the latest official firmware released from samsung.

ALL firmware are identical regadless of which country or region they come from.

The CSC is a set of customisations which run AFTER the first boot. These install extra languages and wallpapers etc. These are what differ between regions.

All european languages are installed by default (the same you expect to find on another other phone like a nokia), regardless of the CSC.

Unless there is something specific you want in the CSC, its usually better for you to take the latest firmware available, remove the CSC and flash it.

The only other consideration is that without a CSC NPS will never offer you an update. But to be honest NPS isnt even worth installing. You will see updates here weeks before you will on NPS for your own region.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Lol calmn down. A Second hand galaxy is actually VERY good value for money. Its us that bought it at 400+ EUR that should be upset :)

Anyway to answer the question...

If you don't know already the letter stands for the month - so A = january, B = febuary etc, and the number is the build number (higher is newer).

L3 is a leaked firmware and although it looks completly genuine it may not be.
IK5 is the latest official firmware released from samsung.

ALL firmware are identical regadless of which country or region they come from.

The CSC is a set of customisations which run AFTER the first boot. These install extra languages and wallpapers etc. These are what differ between regions.

All european languages are installed by default (the same you expect to find on another other phone like a nokia), regardless of the CSC.

Unless there is something specific you want in the CSC, its usually better for you to take the latest firmware available, remove the CSC and flash it.

The only other consideration is that without a CSC NPS will never offer you an update. But to be honest NPS isnt even worth installing. You will see updates here weeks before you will on NPS for your own region.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, thats exactly what i needed to know.

And yeah i got the phone very cheap indeed, around $250 US and its basically brand new, still in the packaging. :D

Upvote 0
Ok i managed to get the drivers working and root the phone. I downloaded the IK5 firmware from the stickied firmware thread, deleted the cache file and re .tar'd it. Started the phone in download mode, opened Odin etc and it failed. I had to take the battery out to get it out of the download mode.

This is what it said in Odin..
<1> Added!!!
<1> Detected!!!
<1> odin mode.. check platform verification.
<1> START!!!
<1> odin mode.. do file mapping..
<1> check download environment.
<1> e - big partition size!!
<1> Delete Comm3engine

Someone please help? :thinking:

Upvote 0
re .tar'd it.

lmao.gif

Upvote 0
If it helps any..

Baseband Version: I7500DFII3
Kernel Version: 2.6.27 hyunchul0221.jung@SE-S402 #1
Build Number: 76XXCSDCBALUM6375

Also, would it have mattered that i unzipped the .tar file, deleted the cache file and then compressed the remaining files back to a .tar instead of just opening the archive in 7zip and deleting the file from there?

And Kam, i'll do anything ;) ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones